Want to Connect PVC to cast iron sewerline underground

Old 08-30-05, 11:42 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Want to Connect PVC to cast iron sewerline underground

What do I use to connect PVC to cast iron? it will be buried under the basement floor.

I am planing to add a bathroom in the basement, but first have to add the stub-outs for tub/toilet and sink. The code now allows PVC to be used under the basement, but my house already has cast iron. PVC is easyer to use and find (and less expensive) then cast Iron.

there already is a transition from PVC above ground, into the cast iron. Looks like it is a rubber gasket that went over the end of the PVC pipe and it was wedged into the wide end of the cast iron pipe. This is above ground, and vertical. Wondering if this same connection method could be used under ground, horizontally?

Was going to remove the cast iorn pipe up to one of the sections ( Was told they are only up to 5 feet long) and put the PVC pipe into the end of the cast iorn opening, with the same rubber gasket. I have seen rubber sleeves which goes over both pipes, and uses two metal bands to clamp them in place. But underground, would the bands not rust away?

Want to make sure I do it right, as it will be impossible to re-open.

Thanks

Chris.

Old 08-30-05, 01:30 PM
PVC to Cast Iron Hook-UP

What you need is called a fernco coupling, it goes between two bald pipes, no hubs. Just put the two pipes together, slide the fernco onto one pipe and then side the fernco on to the other pipe until they are about equal [ you may need soap to help make this easier], tighten the bands, make sure that you don't kink the line. I would not try to put pipe into a bell, this is a special gasket, hard to find and a bear to hook up. The bands are stainless steel, they will last longer than you or I. Luck.

Old 08-30-05, 04:22 PM
Depending on the local code your jursidiction uses will depend on what you can use for this connection. Some places do not allow ferncos to be used underground. Other areas require a shielded fernco (Mission Coupler) for the connection. And then other areas would not allow what you trying to do.

The bell coupled fernco you mentioned can not be made with shielding because of the cone.

The gasket with the open bell is an option provided you have an absolute bare hub to start with. You then need to measure the inside diameter of the hub to see if you have heavy or extra heavy cast iron in place. This will determine the proper size donut you would need to buy. Hard to difficult for the average Joe DIY'er with it underground. Though not impossible....

Just call the local building department and ask what they would recommend for this transition.

Good luck with your project...

Old 08-31-05, 06:51 AM
Originally Posted by notuboo

Just call the local building department and ask what they would recommend for this transition.
Our local building Dept. does not seem to be receptive to answering questions. I had done my own electrical work in my basement, When the inspector came out, he said I did it wrong, and it needs pig tails on all recepticals. Did not know what he was talking about, So I asked him why you want pig tails instead of stringing them together using the screws?, which I have always done in other states, which was OK . The responce I got was " If you don't know how to wire, you should not be doing it!"

I never did get an answer, but I re-wired the recepticals, which I think caused more problems because of bad connections with the three Marrets shoved in the back of each box.! (With m original wiring, all recepticals worked, after re-wiring, it took me a day to locate two bad connections!)

They also charged me another fee for comming out again to re- inspect. - Then they raised my taxes!

So, I am hesitent on asking them anything. ( I also understand why people around here just do things without permits - City hall is more a pain then a help!)

As far as your answers are concerned: I would appear that I will have to cut the cast iron pipe to remove the 'bell'. Was hoping not to, and only having to remove the first sector or 2. But If that the way to connect them, I will go rent the cutter.

Also I think I will do this job during the week, when no one is home, so I can get the main back together before the kids come home.!

Also, I have not found a plumber willing to just do the rough in, its too small a job!

Old 09-03-05, 09:34 PM
noisaw
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by CanadianInIowa
What do I use to connect PVC to cast iron? it will be buried under the basement floor.

I am planing to add a bathroom in the basement, but first have to add the stub-outs for tub/toilet and sink. The code now allows PVC to be used under the basement, but my house already has cast iron. PVC is easyer to use and find (and less expensive) then cast Iron.

there already is a transition from PVC above ground, into the cast iron. Looks like it is a rubber gasket that went over the end of the PVC pipe and it was wedged into the wide end of the cast iron pipe. This is above ground, and vertical. Wondering if this same connection method could be used under ground, horizontally?

Was going to remove the cast iorn pipe up to one of the sections ( Was told they are only up to 5 feet long) and put the PVC pipe into the end of the cast iorn opening, with the same rubber gasket. I have seen rubber sleeves which goes over both pipes, and uses two metal bands to clamp them in place. But underground, would the bands not rust away?

Want to make sure I do it right, as it will be impossible to re-open.

Thanks

Chris.
If you connect pvc to cast iron without a hub you need a no hub coupling. It is the rubber with stainless band around it. The stainless goes the whole width of the rubber.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: