Need solution! Please help!

Old 08-30-05, 05:14 PM
+rus+
Visiting Guest
Need solution! Please help!

My problem is that everyone takes their showers at the same time, so the temperature fluctuates violently (burns if exposed for too long).

I used to live in a newer house where this was not an issue. However the house I am currently living in is older (about 17 years old) and obviously does not have current plumbing equipment.

This is creating a horrible traffic jam in the morning! I have heard that there is a solution to this problem, however my searches have yielded no promising answers!

Thank you,
A half-burnt, half frozen man

Old 08-30-05, 05:56 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You need pressure balanced valves installed. This can be easy or very hard depending on how things are set up with access to the old valve, which needs to be changed out.

Good luck with your project...More questions or problems, ask away and someone will answer you.

Old 09-03-05, 09:30 PM
noisaw
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by +rus+
My problem is that everyone takes their showers at the same time, so the temperature fluctuates violently (burns if exposed for too long).

I used to live in a newer house where this was not an issue. However the house I am currently living in is older (about 17 years old) and obviously does not have current plumbing equipment.

This is creating a horrible traffic jam in the morning! I have heard that there is a solution to this problem, however my searches have yielded no promising answers!

Thank you,
A half-burnt, half frozen man
Your old house may have had a preasure ballanced faucet which prevents such flutuations. It is designed to lower preasure without changed temp. I prefer Delta faucets because I've been installing them for the last decade with few problems. Good luck.

Old 09-05-05, 12:26 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
A pressure-balanced shower valve would solve the problem, but the root cause is probably undersized water piping, low incoming water pressure, or, if you're lucky, a main valve that isn't completely open. It could also be a PRV (pressure reducing valve) that's set too low or defective. IOW, the volume of water that is delivered is not enough to supply all the fixtures in use at the same time.

Start with the easy stuff & check the main valve to make sure that it's open all the way (don't force it), and then check to see if there's a PRV. If there is, gently try to set it higher (screw goes IN for more). You shouldn't raise the house pressure above 80 psi, and you'll need a pressure gauge to tell.

If the piping is undersized, you'll likely need a plumber.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: