Plumbing a branch line into a toilet

Old 09-01-05, 10:56 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Plumbing a branch line into a toilet

The plumbing inspector just failed my work: he said that my branch line (which goes through to a vanity and shower) was not allowed to connect to the toilet drain, but instead had to go beneath where the toilet on the main stack. I live in San Francisco, and he said it wasn't a SF-specific piece of code.

I've been following some plumbing books and they showed a branch line going into a toilet.

In fact, I showed him a diagram in one of the books that he said was incorrect. Here's the picture, scanned from my book (with the illegal join highlighted in red):

http://antunkarlovac.com/stuff/plumbing.jpg

Is it definitely wrong?

-Antun

Old 09-01-05, 11:25 AM
The inspector should have shown you what the proper way that would pass inspection was. Rarely will you win an argument with an inspector. Interpretation is a big part of this. Local codes are so varied that we here at DIY will almost always tell members to check them. The codes may not make sense, but they ARE the codes you must go by. If you feel strong enough in your argument, take a trip to the inspection office and talk to the head of the department. Take your book with you. Picture is worth a thousand words. Good luck.

Old 09-01-05, 12:50 PM
A
Thanks - he did tell me what I had to do to pass, and he said that it wasn't a local-specific code. He claimed it was California-wide at the least. What I supposedly should have done was to join the branch below the toilet on the main stack.

The thing that bothers me is that the department makes it so hard to get answers (their office is open only for short periods of each day).

This inspector said I could call him directly with questions (which was decent), but the department doesn't give out any numbers ahead of time. So you have to fail first in order to get your questions answered

-Antun

Old 09-01-05, 01:00 PM
Bummer. Guess thats where you ask at the time of pulling permit, what can and should be done. I ran into this in Florida and was glad I did it. I had the department head go over the plans with my contractor and when the Inspector was going to fail it, I had his bosses signiture on my plans. Felt good to win one.

Old 09-02-05, 08:22 AM
Smile Plan to follow same setup!

That picture looks familiar, I was going to follow the same when I add my bathroom. B&D plumbing book. I hope the other info in the book is still valid.!

And I Know your frustration! It would be nice if they ( City hall) tells you whats allowed.

Glad to see I'm not the only one who runs into this!

Old 09-02-05, 09:14 AM
A
That's right - the Black & Decker one.

The thing is, that I borrowed a bunch of other books from the library that all had similar pictures (I don't mean the *same picture*, I mean different pictures of bathroom layouts which have branches that come into the toilet drain).

-Antun

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: