Fluidmaster 400

Old 09-03-05, 10:50 AM
B
Received 7 Votes on 5 Posts
Fluidmaster 400

Is there an adjustment on these so they don't shut off quite so fast, can't find the paper that came with it?

It shuts off with a 'boom' and the pipes shake. I'm on city water and the pressure doesn't seem excessive.

Thanks,

Baldwin

Old 09-03-05, 11:02 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If it is not a pressure problem I don't see anything pertaining to your problem in my instruction manual. (just bought an American Standard toilet and they come with the Fluidmaster valve). I am including their website that has more solutions to problems. Good luck.

www.fluidmaster.com

Old 09-03-05, 11:16 AM
B
Never thought of looking there. Here's what it says:

Prof. Flush:
If you have a sudden banging of your water pipes or toilet valve when it shuts off, you have what we call "Water Hammer. If you are not using a Fluidmaster fill valve then this is a perfect oppurtunity to purchase at Home Depot the Whisper Fill Valve by Fluidmaster. This fill valve has a specially designed regulator that will reduce the noise as well as stop the "BANG" of your pipes.

I'll have to find me one of these.

Thanks

Old 09-03-05, 11:34 AM
B
Old 09-03-05, 08:44 PM
The Fluidmaster 400 is not particulary prone to hammer; it does taper the flow somewhat before shut off. It is quite possible that you have a high pressure problem, which no valve can overcome.

Old 09-03-05, 08:53 PM
Your answer lies in this link

BANGING PIPES < READ #4

Old 09-03-05, 09:13 PM
noisaw
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by Baldwin
Is there an adjustment on these so they don't shut off quite so fast, can't find the paper that came with it?

It shuts off with a 'boom' and the pipes shake. I'm on city water and the pressure doesn't seem excessive.

Thanks,

Baldwin
If you have water hammer you need a slow closing ball ****. Those are the ones with the arm and float ball. I like Wolverine Brass. You will pay more but it's worth it.

Old 09-03-05, 09:57 PM
B
OK, I went and watched the float. It rises slowly with the water level about half way, stops for maybe 3 seconds then snaps to the closed position. Is this normal or maybe something is binding inside the valve for a couple seconds?

I installed this about a year ago and I sure the banging wasn't there then. We do have a lot of white chunks in our water.

I'm gonna check the pressure, out of curiosity, then buy a new valve and see what happens.

Thanks guys,

Baldwin

Old 09-03-05, 11:22 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Whoa, white chunks in the water (esp the hot)?

Google the following:
"water heater" AND diptube

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: