What are thse things and do I need them?

Old 09-04-05, 01:54 PM
m_adkins
Visiting Guest
What are thse things and do I need them?

I have two (possibly related) plumbing questions.

The first two pictures are same item. It drips constantly. What is it?

It attaches next to the heating flue for the gas furnace.

The second item is some unused piping in the laundry room. The top pipe is capped, the bottom is open. I want to tear this out and put up cabinets if possible. If it matters, there is a drain in the middle of the laundry room floor.

Thanks all.

Last edited by GregH; 09-05-05 at 02:42 PM. Reason: Coded images
Old 09-04-05, 05:36 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The first one almost looks like its for a refrigeration condensate drain but not 100% sure.

Old 09-05-05, 01:20 PM
m_adkins
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by Hellrazor
The first one almost looks like its for a refrigeration condensate drain but not 100% sure.
Nope. No refrigeration, no A/C.

Somebody has got to know.

Old 09-05-05, 02:39 PM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
It looks to me like a pressure relief valve.
It would be helpfull to see the whole description on the tag.

Do you have a boiler that this could be part of or are there possibly water supply lines in the wall?

Old 09-05-05, 06:23 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Going with the boiler theory, it looks like a type of bucket trap. Used to discharge the condensate from steam lines.

Old 09-05-05, 06:54 PM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
How about a pic of the whole tag.
Maybe there's a clue in the instructions.

Old 09-05-05, 07:15 PM
Looks like a trap prime valve.

I don't see a trap so there must be one somewhere else. If this drain is just for an air conditioner condensate drain, a trap primer would be a good soluion for times when the AC is off and the trap would run dry. What is the small drain line coming from?

The other pipe coming out of the wall could have had a PRV or just about anything else from a filter or even a meter, on it. Need to know where the outlet goes or is just a dead end now?

Old 09-05-05, 08:22 PM
m_adkins
Visiting Guest
No bolier, no a/c, no other refrigeration.

I assume a pressure relief valve would be near the house supply. This is not. My theory on the first item is a trap prime valve. Sorry I could not get a better picture of the text. I need a mirror to see more and hadn't got the time yet. My (very limited) knowledge of a trap prime valve is that it should release a little water every time it sees a pressure flutuation. This one drips continuously. I have also not see a catalog item that looks like this valve.

The second item has a capped pipe at the top, which I assume has pressure. The bottom pipe is open, and thus has no pressure. This is in a laundry room with a drain and is possibly the reminents of a trap prime valve as well. This is odd as somewhere in the wall, that bottom copper pipe must be connected to the drain. I would rather not start knocking holes in the wall if I don't have to. This connection would not support the same kind of valve as the first pictures due to the first valve being so long so it would be odd that you would have two different type valves in the same house.

Old 09-06-05, 02:35 PM
What is this?

Question # 1 that is a trap primer, its used to make sure that you don't lose your seal in a trap that dosen't get a lot of water, it should drip, that means its working.Question #2 you will have to study out what this is, I can't really say from the picture. Luck.

Old 09-09-05, 09:02 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
It doesn't look like a trap primer, at least I've never seen one that looks like that, and it appears to have a diaphram in it. The info on the rest of the tag would be helpful, but I'm guessing that it's a pressure relief valve, possibly dedicated to one particular piece of equipment.

Was there a Mr. Steam in the house at some point?

I have no idea what # 2 was, but if that's a galvanized cap on copper, it'll rot sooner or later.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: