water pressure problem

Old 09-06-05, 12:56 PM
Mandy1981
Visiting Guest
water pressure problem

Hi, I found this site through a search engine while searching for help with low water pressure. I hope someone here can help me with this issue.
I am having a problem with my hot water pressure. The cold water works fine but when I turn on the hot water I barely get any water at all. This is through out the whole house. The house is like 50 years old. I have been here 3 years and this just started last night. I cleaned out the water heater and it ran clean from the begining. I went to the city but they said they couldn't help me. I don't know if this has anything to do with it but last week I noticed a leak in the outside where you connect a water hose. I am dumb when it comes to house hold repairs. Is there anything that can easily be done without calling a plumber first cause I don't have money for one right now. Thank you for any help you can give me.

Old 09-06-05, 06:36 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Mandy1981, Welcome to the DIY Forums.
Plumbing 101 : 50 year old house probably has galvanized waterlines. These rust internally and the inside of the pipe flakes off. This plugs the supply valves of all the fixtures.
Go to each fixture that has a hot water connection. Look under them and there should be 2 valves. The one on the left should be the hot water supply. Turn this valve off and disconnect the tubing that goes up to the fixure. Hold a rag over the top of the vale and turn the valve on and off 2 or 3 times. Check the rag for debris. Hook the tubing back up and see if the pressure is better.
You said you "cleaned out" the water heater. Did you just drain it or drain and flush? You need to do both. I have included a link giving proper procedures for doing this. Just click on the link to view it. Good luck and let us know how it goes. We are always here to help.

http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=134483

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: