Problem with a leaking soldered joint

Old 09-06-05, 06:16 PM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Problem with a leaking soldered joint

After doing all of my supply lines for a new bathroom in more-or-less 2 stages, I've had 2 soldered joints that have leaked. The first one was in the first stage where I connected to the main supply and did everything up to my shutoff valve I put in for the new work. I had a leak at the shutoff valve itself for the hot water supply, this I was able to fix by draining the water, adding flux, then heat, then solder.

The second one is at a T, and it had proven even harder to heat up than the brass valve. After a few tries, I went through everything to drain and blow out the water with compressed air... Still, I've got the draining out the water part down now, but by flux, heat, solder routine did not result in the leak being stopped.

Am I missing something? I want to be sure I'm going to succeed before I go through this routine again and that I'm not just repeating doing something wrong. What is the proper way to fix a leak at a soldered joint?

Old 09-07-05, 09:05 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
If you have all the water out of the line you should not be having a problem. I usually put my heat in the center of a tee and let the solder get sucked in to the heat. Are you wiping the joints after soldering them? Sometimes this will seal a small hole you didn't see. I take a dry rag or the finger of a Jersey glove and wipe around the joint as soon as I pull the solder away from the joint. Not only gets some leaks but looks nicer.

Old 09-07-05, 01:05 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Leaking solder joint

You usually get one or two tries to fix a bad solder joint, if it dosen't work you have to un-sweat, re-clean re-paste and try again. What happens is the the original flux is burned or washed out and the solder won't adhere. Good luck.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: