Installing an in house water filter help

Old 09-08-05, 01:27 PM
lgf
Visiting Guest
Installing an in house water filter help

I am going to install an in-house water filter and know how to solder copper pipe so that's not a problem as I have soldered successfully in the past. I've prepared the unit with the proper copper fittings and pre-soldered some of the joints in advance. I also know where I want to install it in the lines (after a shutoff valve which is already there and before a second shutoff valve which is already there). What I would like to know is 2 things. First, it is near the gas pipe which leads to the water heater, so should I shut the gas off at the petcock near the heater or shut the gas off where it enters the house or don't shut the gas off at all. Is there a danger of explosion if I don't shut it off? (I don't intend on letting the torch touch the gas line of course) and....
2. The existing copper pipe is 3/4" and the fittings on the water filter are 1". I bought reduction fittings going to and from the filter and quick disconnect unions before and after the filter but I am wondering if there will be a problem with water pressure. Is there anything you see wrong with what I am doing and can offer advice? Thanks very much.

LGF
P.S. Do I need to drain the water heater? I know I have to drain the water lines.

Old 09-08-05, 06:18 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
house water filter help

as far as water goes as long as the pipes can get hot and water is not going to be close to joints id go for it . as far as gas goes thats your call your there you know what your up agains if you dont feel safe close main and make sure you blead gas out by were your working so theres no fumes there . but if you got a foot or more between the lines and know you dont have a gas leak you should be fine . but its always better to be safe then sorry.

Old 09-08-05, 06:40 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Spray the gasline with a soap/water solution. No leaks, good to go. I see no need to drain the water heater. It is not involved in the system. The short area between the filter and the size of the lines should be no problem. You seem to have covered all the bases, Good luck with your project.

Old 09-09-05, 07:03 AM
lgf
Visiting Guest
Thanks guys, I'll let you know how I make out.....doing the job tomorrow.

LGF

Old 09-13-05, 06:26 AM
lgf
Visiting Guest
Success ! ! ! I did the plumbing job without a hitch except for one small thing. The filter in the unit could be put in 2 ways and you guessed it, I put it in upside down. The only thing it said on it was the word "outlet" which I took to mean the bottom of the filter since water enters at the top. When I turned the water on and put the valve stems in line for the flow, no water came out of the faucets. I doublechecked the flow and it couldn't be any other way, so I shut it down, removed the filter and turned it upside down. That did the trick so I was happy with the end result. I did find heavy rust, dark brown sludge in the piece of line I cut out and called my water company. The guy said it was iron and manganese deposits and won't hurt you but I think any water that is not pure can hurt you eventually. What do you guys think?

Old 09-13-05, 05:42 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
If you saw the inside of the citys water mains you would never use the water.

Old 09-14-05, 05:34 AM
lgf
Visiting Guest
Thanks for shedding light on that then. I will forget about doing any further testing on the water, and Majakdragon, thanks for all your help........it is most appreciated.

Old 09-27-05, 02:08 AM
waterfilters
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by lgf
The guy said it was iron and manganese deposits and won't hurt you but I think any water that is not pure can hurt you eventually. What do you guys think?
I totally agree, which is why you should look at installing not just a water filter, but a water purifier.

The difference between a water filter and water purifier is the degree to which impurities are removed. A water filter reduces the amount of impurities, while a water purifier removes the impurities.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: