cold valve + drain

Old 09-09-05, 08:50 AM
P
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
cold valve + drain

Hello
I have two things I need advice about; 1-bathroom cold water shutoff is a compression fitting-I have snugged it up along with the hose to the faucet so all is snug but when I wipe it with my finger it is weeping. I only have a couple of inches to the wall + don't want to cut back too much. Would gluing a union and another couple of inches of pipe be the thing to do then put on another shutoff?
2-Under the same sink there is a drain stub coming out of the wall with an elbow that is threaded-it is male. The female curved pipe that is threaded on to it is weeping also so I brought the piece to Home depot and they gave me another that looks just like it but hard as I try I can't scew it on. Could different manufacturers be off so much that this is the problem?

Old 09-09-05, 09:02 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Pete, As far as the valve, turn off the water supply and remove the valve. (leaving the nut and compression ring in place)Take it with you and get another valve. Make sure the compression nut on the new valve is the same thread type. You can normally get a sales person to open the package and try your old valve on the new nut. When you get home, just tighten the old nut onto the new valve. May want to get some Plumbers grease to put on the compression ring and threads.
The drain may be pipe threads and they sold you a part with a compression type fitting.(different threads) Does the new nut have a rubber or neoprene gasket with it? You may be able to use teflon tape on the male threads and use the old pipe. Good luck.

Old 09-09-05, 09:53 AM
P
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Valve + drain

Hi M.D.
I appreciate the advice and will see what I can do - now I have a better idea of how to get it done.
Regards
Pete

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: