Bathroom sink drain leaking

Old 09-09-05, 11:02 PM
no1phoneguy
Visiting Guest
Bathroom sink drain leaking

I have been working on this problem for hours. New drain in a bathroom sink that leaks around the lower gasket. Putty around flange and its ok. Have thread tape around lower drain pipe so not coming from there. It is all around the gasket and threads where tighten the nut/washer/gasket. Even replaced gasket with one that fit better. No luck. Have noticed that the bottom of sink is not quite even. One side tightens up before other. Can't think of any other solutions and haven't really seen one on any of the other posting. Help!

Old 09-10-05, 08:03 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
no1phoneguy, Welcome to the DIY Forums.
The main problem I have seen is that the fine threads on the tailpiece that screws into the drainpiece with the flange leaks. Many say not to put thread sealant or teflon on these threads but I have stopped many a leak by using these products. Good luck.

Old 09-10-05, 11:55 AM
no1phoneguy
Visiting Guest
majakdragon, thanks for the welcome. But it is not the tailpiece, as I have tape around that. It was leaking there before that, but it is fine now. It is all around the gasket area. One thing I failed to mentioned is that the drain hole in the sink is about 1 3/4 inches and the drain pipe is about 1 1/4, if that makes any difference.

Old 09-10-05, 12:17 PM
The holes and pipe are the proper sizes. I have included a link to show you what you should have in case you missed something. There are two pictures of the drain assembly. Hopefully this will help.

http://doityourself.com/faucet/replacebathroomsink.htm

Old 09-11-05, 03:31 AM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
bathroom sink

Hey guys,

In staying with bathroom sink, I need some advive on a leak as well.My drain pipe in the bathroom is I believe 1 1\4 metal or a tad bigger.I put another piece of metal pipe in the wall drain pipe and was hoping that it wouldn't leak,as I put some pipe sealent on it,but it is leaking.Is they some other type of pipe sealent I could use,like pipe cement?? I can't get a piece of plastic on the original metal drain pipe as it is alittle bigger than 1 1\4 and the plastic fitting won't go on???? I'm off to the depot later,so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 09-11-05, 05:40 PM
ryyback, The pipe coming out of the wall is 1-1/2" and the drain pipe for the sink is 1-1/4". They make a reducing washer that goes inside an 1-1/2" nut. These are common on bath sinks. Good luck.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: