Location of valve for gas range

Old 09-14-05, 02:20 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Location of valve for gas range

As part of a kitchen remodel I am installing a gas range. When I had the gas service installed I had the plumber put in a stub (with valve) in the basement so I could plumb it from the valve up through the floor to the back of the range. The city says I need to have an accessible gas shut off valve for the range. The basement valve is to far away to be accessible and a valve behind the range would also not be readily accessible. Can I bring the line up through the back of a cabinet and have the valve accessible in the cabinet?

This would work, but I am wodering what the standard practice is for locating a gas shut off valve in a kitchen.

Thanks,
DavidJ

Old 09-14-05, 04:39 PM
This is a great code question.

The valve can be behind the stove out of view. Where you place it is up to you. You use a flex connector from the valve to the stove.

IFGC 409 and IRC G2420 state that 'shutoff valves shall be prohibited in concealed locations.' Also... 'such valves shall be provided with access.' These provisions are also in the National Fuel Gas Code so the requirement is the same.

Access is defined as 'that which enables a device, appliance or equipment to be reached by ready access or by a means that first requires the removal or movement of a panel, door or similiar obstruction.'

The appliance is moved to provide access and then the valve is also in plain sight.

A shutoff valve is an isolation valve for repair work on the unit it serves. This is not an emergency shutoff valve which is handled differently.

You do have to have a valve in the same room that the appliance is located in. This is why the basement valve would not be approved. Inside a cabinet may make the inspector frown when he sees it (this is like a concealed valve although it has ready access).

Hope this helps...

Old 09-14-05, 05:01 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
The gas valve needs to be accessible and in the same room as the appliance, and you should not have to move the range to access it, at least that's what I have to do in my jurisdiction. What I normally do is: 1) if the range is on legs (high enough to get an arm under) I put the valve underneath. 2) If the range is not on legs, I route the gas line through the adjacent cabinet, put the valve there (you can use a recessed ice-maker box to save a few fittings), then hard-pipe into an area behind the range where I can get a flex on it and still have it go back against the wall. The valve has to be accessible, but does not have to be readily visible.

If you locate the valve behind the range, you probably won't be able to push it all the way back against the wall.

Old 09-14-05, 06:07 PM
D
Thanks guys,
The recessed ice maker box is a good idea.
I'll ask the inspector if he will accept the valve in an adjacnet cabinet or under the stove.

DavidJ

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: