Unexesable Exterior Faucet

Old 09-22-05, 02:14 AM
lincman123
Visiting Guest
Unexesable Exterior Faucet

I broke an exterior faucet off with my Bob Cat. I was able to still turn the water off by using a visegrip on the 1/8 inch shut off tube comeing out of the faucet. I have some abilities as a plumber, but am haveing trouble comeing up with a solution to this problem. Problem is: The home owner has recently remodeled and the only place to access the water supply line is on the other side of the basement. The extrior of the home is brick. Comeing out of the brick wall, I have about a half inch of the copper supply, and a broken turn valve that is aprox. 1/8 inch in dia. and 1 inch in lenghth. How do I fix this.

Old 09-22-05, 05:25 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You just replace the entire faucet assembly. Usually it's a frost proof sillcock on the outside of buildings. You buy them in various lengths starting at 8". You need to measure the wall thickness to get the right one.

Simple to install. Usually just sweated onto copper water lines but can be screwed onto galvanized.

When you install it, have it sloping slightly downhill towards the outlet. This way it will drain when shut off.

It is hard to match parts for these valves. First, because there a many different manufacturers and models. Second, the models seem to change just a little every few years or so and and no one has old one left to sell.

Good luck with your project...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: