replacing leaking valve on gas line

Old 09-26-05, 10:40 AM
brianajt
Visiting Guest
replacing leaking valve on gas line

I smelled gas in my basement so I called the gas company, the guy came, said the vavle above my dryer is leaking. He shut it off and tightned it and said it needs replaced. I know working on it will require shutting off the gas at the meter. I have worked on the line before but not where i have had to shut off the gas at the meter, I usually just shut off the nearest valve and get to work. I know I need to turn the meter off, open the windows in the basement get the old valve off, dope up the male ends twist on the new valve test for leaks with 50/50 soap and water. Is there anything special I should know about turning it off at the meter, or anything else special about valves, I don't want to blow up my house and if is more complicated than the usual gas line repairs I'll call a pro, if it is just like fixing any other fitting, I'll fix it myself..... opinions and thoughts appreciated...

Old 09-26-05, 03:16 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You Can Do It!

Brianajt: Two things to consider. First that you know the location of every fixture that this meter serves. Make sure your not turning off a neighbors gas along with yours, a guest house on your property, gas yard lights etc. Second, make sure you are familiar with the proper lighting and start up of each fixture that is on the system. Most modern gas appliances now have electronic ignition requiring no standing pilot. While others will have, and will need to be lit manually. It should only take a few minutes to replace the valve itself so I would not think you would have any air to bleed off at other fixtures. Your described method sounds fine. This is not a complicated issue and you should be just fine following the steps you outlined. I would however visually inspect each fixture once the gas is back on. Good luck and post back with your results.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: