Shaking & Noisy Pipes

Old 09-27-05, 06:30 AM
jppcld
Visiting Guest
Shaking & Noisy Pipes

I am having an issue with my water pipes. They shake and bang every now and then when the well pump kicks on. It does not do it all the time, just every now and then when we are doing laundry or taking showers. The water pressure in the house will drop right out to nothing and then the well pump kicks on and the pipes shake/bang and the water comes back on. But most of the time the pump kicks on and off without any pressure drop or banging pipes. I know I get a lot of sediment in my water because I have to change my in-line filters every other month, could it be a problem with the pressure switch (dirty diaphram)??? The pressure tank seems fine with plenty of pressure and no bladder leaks. Any ideas???

Old 09-27-05, 02:23 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You Can Do It!

Jppcld: I am certainly no well expert, but it sounds as though your pressure switch is improperly adjusted (Instructions are generally on the inside cover) or you do have a problem with your pressure tank. How do you know the bladder is fine? What is the pre charge pressure on the tank? How much time can elapse or about how much water can you draw before the pump cycles on? I am sure there is a Forum specifically for water wells, pumps etc. Im surprised your post has not been moved there yet. Any way, post back with a little more info and I know you will find the answer here. Good Luck

Old 09-28-05, 05:57 AM
jppcld
Visiting Guest
More Info

The pressure tank is 40 gal. I checked the pressure at the schreader valve on top and it was 42 psi. The pressure switch is a 20/40 square D. I have tried adjusting it before with little benefit. I am planning on taking everything apart this weekend to see if there is any corrosion or dirt inside anything that may be causing the problem. Thanks for the help.

Old 09-28-05, 02:27 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Dont give up!

Jppcld: When you disassemble this weekend check out these few things. Disconnect the wires to the pressure switch, unscrew the switch from the 1/4" nipple and look inside of it. If it is a galvanized nipple these tend to corrode and build up a blockage on the inside. Drain your pressure tank. While the system is empty your pre-charge air pressure should be set at four pounds below the cut out pressure. In your case of a twenty-forty switch, your pre-charge would be sixteen pounds in the tank. I will always depress the valve on top of the tank using a small nail or something to see if any water is ejected from the tank before I drain one. If you get water through here you know the bladder is bad. As I have said, this is not my area of expertise but maybe you will find these tips useful. Good Luck and post back so we can all learn something new.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: