Bad pipes embedded in concrete?!

Old 09-29-05, 12:40 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bad pipes embedded in concrete?!

My husband and I are remodeling my mom's kitchen and, in gutting the walls and ceiling to the studs, we've exposed bad plumbing for the second floor bathroom, which is above the kitchen. My husband had suspected that those old pipes would need replacing, but now that we can see them, we know they need replacing. The water supply is severely rusted in a few spots and the waste pipes are looking pretty nasty as well. Anyway, while we've got everything exposed, there will never be a better time to take care of it.

Here's the problem. The second floor bathroom apparently has a concrete subfloor and the water supply for the sink and toilet and the waste pipe for the sink all run through it. The waste pipe for the toilet is partially embedded in the bottom portion of the concrete and, in fact, appears to actually be part of the support of the concrete.

Here's a diagram that will hopefully help this make sense.

The simple solution is to just knock out the concrete, but if we do that, we lose the entire bathroom floor (and we really don't want to have to rebuild and retile that). My husband has considered bypassing the existing pipes and routing new ones through the bathroom/bedroom wall instead of coming up through the concrete floor. Trouble is, there doesn't appear to be any way to get into that wall because there just happens to be a double joist right below it!

Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-05, 01:10 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Typical old house. Concrete was used in the bathrooms for the tile. It may be possible to cut off the water supply lines and use them for "sleeves" for a copper water line. The drains, thats a different story. Are you sure they are galvanized and not cast iron? "Looking bad" and "being bad" are two different stories. The galvanized pipe would rust and really look bad from the outside, as would cast iron. But it could still be workable. If it is galvanized pipe, it could be cut off and "pounded " out of the concrete. Yes, it's a lot of work but can be done. Then replaced with PVC or ABS. The galvanized could also be split with a Sawzall (cut on both sides with a long blade) and then removed from the hole. Good luck.