Garbage disposal draining puzzle

Old 09-29-05, 03:41 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Garbage disposal draining puzzle

Ok, the garbage disposal in the kitchen recently clogged up. Actaully it initially was the drain line from the disposal that was draining way to slowly, however after fixing that the garbage disposal stopped draining properly. After going for a few other approaches, I disconected the drain line, which wasn't backed up, but upon opening the elbow, the disposal drained into the ready bucket. At this point, suspecting a clog in the pipes below, I fed a hose with a plumbers bag on the tip into the drain line and let it pour, I checking the pipes below, I could clearly hear the water draining through into the main drain. So at this point, I ran some water through the disposal, which when disconected from the drain drained instantly. Then I reconnected it to the drain, and suddenly the water started draining from it much slower.

Does anyone have any idea what might be up with my disposal and drain?

Old 09-29-05, 03:57 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I believe that although you could hear the water draining in the pipes, it still has a partial clog. When the disposer is run, the pipe cannot drain all the water and waste that is put into it. Drain pipes have to traditionally accept not only water, but grease and oil. This can lead to a partial clog due to these things clinging to the inside of the pipe. Then they get chunks of food (disposer waste) added to them and become a full clog.
You could try an enzyme drain cleaner such as Draincare. Enzyme cleaners cling to the clog and "eat" them. Unlike caustic drain cleaners that just eat a small hole and exit down the pipes. Good luck.

Old 09-30-05, 02:44 PM
B
Originally Posted by majakdragon
I believe that although you could hear the water draining in the pipes, it still has a partial clog. When the disposer is run, the pipe cannot drain all the water and waste that is put into it. Drain pipes have to traditionally accept not only water, but grease and oil. This can lead to a partial clog due to these things clinging to the inside of the pipe. Then they get chunks of food (disposer waste) added to them and become a full clog.
You could try an enzyme drain cleaner such as Draincare. Enzyme cleaners cling to the clog and "eat" them. Unlike caustic drain cleaners that just eat a small hole and exit down the pipes. Good luck.
Ok, last night I tried using an enzyme cleaner without apparent success, however when confronting the still blocked drain this morning, I realised that since the drain was blocked when I poured in the cleaner, that could have easily reduced the effectiveness of the cleaner via lack of surface area. So before giving the cleaner a second try, I used the plumbers bag again to power the clog from airtight to partial, so that the cleaner could get at the whole thing. We'll see how well it worked this evening.

Old 10-10-05, 10:28 AM
Any luck?

BrendanK did you have success with your 2nd attempt with the Enzyme cleaner?

I'm having a very similiar issue I beleive and would like to hear how well this worked for you. I think I have a clog that is causing water to sit above the drain U (trap?) and is leaking out the joints -which we're probably not sealed correctly since it was the previous owner DIY project from the looks of it.

Hope it worked for you and would like to know.

Old 10-10-05, 07:25 PM
T
Chetspartan:

From the looks of your photo on your other post, your disposal discharge level is lower than the "T" in your drain line. This could account for your disposal draining slower than expected. The photo angle is tough to tell for sure....

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: