HELP!!! Broken Water Line in Driveway!

Old 10-03-05, 12:19 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 12 Upvotes on 7 Posts
HELP!!! Broken Water Line in Driveway!

Oh dear, we have a broken water line under our gravel driveway. Hubby is on his way home to turn off the water and such, but heck I have no clue about these things, and neither does he.

Is this something we can repair ourselves? We are both very handy with tools and such, but I am not sure this is a job we should try to tackle...another issue is we don't have a lot of money to spend on the repairs, if we have to have a professional do the work.

Help!

(sighing huge sad sighs, When it rains, it pours)

Old 10-03-05, 03:11 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
First things first.

1) Turn off the water. If the break is after the meter, you'll turn off the water at the meter. Otherwise there should be a valve box that you can use to turn it off. If you have a friendly water department, call them; they may be able to help.

2) Locate and expose the leak; this will likely require a shovel. That is when you'll be able to determine the next step. If it's a million-year-old galvanized water service , you may be able to do a temp repair and then plan on replacement in the near future.

There are many other possibilities though. You have to see the problem before you can figure out what to do.

Old 10-03-05, 03:32 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Leak under driveway

This is labor, are you good with a pick and shovel? This can be done, but it is backbreaking. If you want to try this I will tell you how to procede. Email me. Shacko.

Old 10-03-05, 04:40 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 12 Upvotes on 7 Posts
Thanks to you both!

Thanks Guys! We have it dug out and the water is shut off. It appears that the pipe was patched before, and they used metal pipefrom the meter connection and connected it to PVC, which runs up to the house. They did a crappy job as is obvious from looking at the actual join of the patch. We have to remove the pipe from the meter and replace about 18-24 inches of it, and connect it to the PVC.

Any problems we should watch out for in this connection? Hubby is digging out the meter box as I type, and we hope to have it all clear and ready for repair first thing in the morning.

Any tips or suggestions would greatly be appreciated.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: