Leaky Compression fitting at shut-off valve.

Old 10-04-05, 10:38 AM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Leaky Compression fitting at shut-off valve.

I am finishing up a new bath in my basement. I had the plumbing roughed in professionally. I installed the shut-off valves under the vanity (compression fitting to 1/2" copper pipe). One of them moved a bit when I was tightening it, and leaked when pressurized. So, I pulled it off and realized that the brass compression-ring is not going to come back off that pipe (no chance to start-over). I re-installed with new teflon tape on the threads (more than the first time). It still leaked, so I pulled it again and put a little plumber's putty on the nut-side of the compression ring and again new teflon tape. It still leaks just a little (which is of course too much). The other valve was tight and correct the first time.

So, I have made a mess out of installing one of these valves. How can I fix this? I don't think I have room to cut again (behind where the ring is currently fixed). Is my only recourse to replace the copper pipe?

Thanks for your help!

Old 10-04-05, 02:40 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
While there is a specialized tool for removing them, usually a pair of channel locks can get a grip on the old compression ring and pull it off with some twisting and fortitude. If not - CAREFULLY, cut through the old ring with a fine tooth hacksaw. Once removed.... sand down the pipe with emery cloth. If you score the pipe with your saw blade, you may have to remove 1/4 - 1/2 inch of the pipe - just make sure your new compression ring is "before" the score mark.

When installing shut off valves with compression rings.... I like to tighten them very, very lightly before turning the water on - just enough that I think it won't "blow off" when the water is turned on. From there, I slowly tighten to eliminate any drips.

Old 10-04-05, 06:49 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Here a trick that MAY work. Take a piece of heavy string (kite string should work) and pull it through a candle 4 or 5 times. Put the end of the pipe in the connection with the compression nut pulled back. Wrap 2 or 3 wraps of the string behind the ferrule and slide the nut forward and tighten it. Sometimes it works, sometimes it don't. Good luck.

Old 10-04-05, 07:04 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Hmmmmm......... it works for the packing gland on the rudder of my ski boat - might work for this....

Neat idea Dragonmeister..

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: