Hiding shut-off valves???

Old 10-05-05, 11:53 AM
S
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Question Hiding shut-off valves???

I know it sounds like a contradiction to hide shut off valves, but here's the story...

We're installing a pedestal sink in a new basement bathroom and we don't want to see the faucet shut off valves on either side of the pedestal. There will be supply shut off's exposed in the ceiling outside the bathroom for ready access to shut down the entire bathroom.

It seems like with one valve a few inches higher than the other they can be side-by-side behind the pedestal and still work. Is this normally done or do inspectors frown on this? All the brochures from the pedestal manufacturers don't show exposed plumbing, but of course they're not real installations.

My wife is counting on this... what do you think guys?

Old 10-05-05, 01:36 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
pedestal sink valves

If you can put 2 valves behind the pedestal with out them being exposed, I don't think that that would be a code problem, [codes are local], but I think it would be a pain in the azz. What I would do is run the sink lines seperate to the ceiling and put the valves there. Lots of luck.

Old 10-05-05, 01:39 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I really don't know of a code that states you have to have ANY shut-off valves. It's just common sense. But then again, very seldom see shut-off valves on tubs or showers. I have done as you mentioned, offset the valves and placed them inside the pedestal. I believe you are free to do as you wish. You might call the local code office for specific advice. Probably will confuse them but it's free info. Good luck.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: