Shut-Off Valve on Male Adapter won't stop dripping

Old 10-05-05, 02:20 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Shut-Off Valve on Male Adapter won't stop dripping

Hello,

I have soldered on 4 male adapters for the hot & cold water pipes going to my bathroom & kitchen. On the male adapter threads I have wrapped around teflon tapes going around the adapter threads 3 times. I've then screwed on each of the shutoff valves to the male adapters & each one has a small, very small, leak from where the shutoff valve is screwed on to the male adapter. What am I missing? How can I put these screw on shut off valves to the male adapters without them leaking in any way?

(The soldered connections are just fine. It's leaking from the threading.)

Old 10-05-05, 02:30 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
You might want to try using a joint compound rather than the teflon tape. Sometimes the compound works better than the tape.Neither are intended "seal" a leak but designed provide lubrication to allow the threads to mesh properly. There may also be a difference in the depth of the threads between the shut-off valve and the male adapter. Good luck with your project.

Old 10-05-05, 03:12 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Leaking valves

What I think has hppened is that you have tightened the valves too much I assume that they are brass? Take the valves off then rap 6 turns of teflon around them, add pipe dope and re install, be easy, you can always tighten more but not less. Lots of luck.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: