Leaky kitchen sink drain

Old 10-10-05, 04:28 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Leaky kitchen sink drain

As the title of this thread says, leaky kitchen sink drain that in my amateur opinion (from reading on these forums a bit) is caused by a clogged/restricted drain, but maybe not. The joints from the down pipe, T and right above the trap leak when any liquid is run through either of the dual sinks or dishwasher. The sinks drain quickly enough so I don't think there is a clog/blockage issue, but just bad DIY work from the previous homeowner.

1. Could this be a clog causing liquid to stay above the trap long enough and over time to have eroded the pipe thread/adhesive which is now letting the leaks occur?
2. If it's just eroded can I simply take the assembly apart and re-seal it, or would replacing the complete setup be easier?

Here are some links to pics of the setup (with the nice flower bucket catch basin).

Whole setup

drain down and trap

closeup of offending joint

Thanks in advance.

Also the disposal/washer drain connect is not exactly horizontal to the main sink drain, but yet slightly raises up a degree or two before meeting it. I can also see the disposal connect when looking down the left hand main sink drain, i.e. it comes into the drain about halfway. Are these two things normal?

Old 10-10-05, 04:43 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
It would appear all the joints in question are slip joints that should have a small plastic beveled "washer" that provides the seal between the pipes and nuts rather than any type of pipe dope/sealant.

It should be a simple matter for you to take apart the entire assembly, clean it up - replacing the washers if necessary, and reassemble. Use teflon tape on the threads to facilitate a tight joint (makes the plastic/plastic threads tighten easier). All the joints I see should be tightened by hand - and should provide a watertight seal with that kind of pressure. The last joint you would tighten should be the one between the P-trap and the tailpiece below the "T". This is the one that provides vertical adjustment.

At least, that's what I can make out at this hour (it's way after 9am )

Old 10-10-05, 05:18 PM
Thanks Zster. I'll give it a go this weekend with some brews.

Old 03-22-06, 02:55 PM
F
Been doing alot of thread searching re:double sink/GD/Dishwasher drain hookups.

This one seems like the best option for me and brings up two questions.....

Should the "tee" shown in the above photo link be a disposer/end outlet tee to prevent nasty smells from any waste that may hang around in the pipe from the garbage disposal?

It's a new install,does anyone think that it's wiser to give each sink drain it's own "p" trap and "wye"them just before the main drain enter the wall?

Thanks for any suggestions/ideas/info and help

Old 03-22-06, 03:29 PM
K
I'm sorry I think your seeing the problem not the sourse. Fill the sink and drain. I think you"ll see water coming from the basket.

Old 03-22-06, 09:45 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
> 1. Could this be a clog causing liquid to stay above the trap long enough
> and over time to have eroded the pipe thread/adhesive which is now letting
> the leaks occur?

No. There was none.

> 2. can I simply take the assembly apart and re-seal it, or would replacing
> the complete setup be easier?

Alll you need to replace is the tailpiece under the sink.

> Also the disposal/washer drain connect is not exactly horizontal to the
> main sink drain, but yet slightly raises up a degree or two before meeting it.

That is a bad problem.
You need a longer tailpiece so that the tee lines up with the line from the disposer.

The tailpiece needs the correct bushing inserted in the top. What you have now has been leaking.

> I can also see the disposal connect when looking down the left hand main sink
> drain, i.e. it comes into the drain about halfway.

Wait until you have everything lining up correctly, then notch the bottom.

> Should the "tee" shown in the above photo link be a disposer/end outlet tee to
> prevent nasty smells from any waste that may hang around in the pipe from the
> garbage disposal?

What you need to do is fix it so that nothing stays around.

Old 03-22-06, 10:27 PM
F
Sorry guys..I didn't mean to resurrect a dead thread..I'll start a new one.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: