Re-plumbing a whole house???

Old 10-14-05, 03:16 PM
tweeter21
Visiting Guest
Re-plumbing a whole house???

I am remodeling a 1950's home - adding a room and two bathrooms, dishwasher, extra sink, etc... Needless to say, I am having to replumb the whole house. As far as exterior plumbing - the kind with just PVC - I can do that no problem. The existing plumbing on the interior is all PVC - no copper or any metal. There is however a ceramic sewer drain and exhaust of which I will replace with PVC. Is it an absolute (really an ABSOLUTE) must to do the interior walls with copper. I am not good at it and would like to avoid it. By the way, I am not concerned with any codes - I live in a very rural area.

Old 10-14-05, 03:38 PM
pendoreilleskie
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by tweeter21
I am remodeling a 1950's home - adding a room and two bathrooms, dishwasher, extra sink, etc... Needless to say, I am having to replumb the whole house. As far as exterior plumbing - the kind with just PVC - I can do that no problem. The existing plumbing on the interior is all PVC - no copper or any metal. There is however a ceramic sewer drain and exhaust of which I will replace with PVC. Is it an absolute (really an ABSOLUTE) must to do the interior walls with copper. I am not good at it and would like to avoid it. By the way, I am not concerned with any codes - I live in a very rural area.
probably you have already thought of this, but if you are insuring the house and down the road there is a problem with the water (i.e. a leak that does severe damage) you may want to do it to "code" ... or if you ever want to sell it the home inspector will want to see code ... I was having a simmilar dilemna on a remodel (smaller scale) ... perhaps you should look at using PEX as it sounds much easier than copper (no soldering just compression fittings).

Old 10-14-05, 03:39 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Why not go with CPVC if you do not want to solder joints of copper? Even PEX would work.
Regarding your comment on not worrying about codes: Most codes are in place for a reason. Some are for safety. Others, which bear going by, are so the system works. If you are adding 2 bathrooms and an extra sink, you are not just talking about water supply and drain lines. You also need vents from these fixtures to make them work properly. An unvented line will cause other fixtures to have their traps sucked dry and then sewer gas will be able to enter your home. I hope you are going by some type of a REAL plumbing diagram that shows all the piping. Good luck.

Old 10-18-05, 11:20 AM
tweeter21
Visiting Guest
I am planning for vents for all the drains and I do have a diagram for those issues. As far as the codes or inspectors - there are none where I am.

I am looking to do the plumbing with something that I do not have to smolder yet is efficient and economical.

Old 10-18-05, 11:50 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
PVC is not acceptable for your hot water supply lines. I will become brittle and eventually will break. Use CPVC for all hot water. Use ABS or PVC for your drain systems. Unlike copper there is not a big difference in price between PVC and CPVC.

Old 10-19-05, 11:20 AM
tweeter21
Visiting Guest
I checked on the price - I will go with CPVC. I think I can handle that. Thanks for th einfo - you guys are great!!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: