Vibrating pipes

Old 10-17-05, 07:04 PM
jbp13
Visiting Guest
Vibrating pipes

I don't know very much about plumbing... I have a vibrating sound, which shakes the floor of my house, coming from my basement. I have no doubt it's the water pipes. It has done this before... last year at some point but then just stopped doing it. As I am sitting here now, it has done it 4 times in the last hour. The vibrating lasts about 2 to 3 seconds then just stops. I have heard the toilet make a hissing sound just before the vibrating starts (as if it's kind of running). The toilet may make this sound every time just before the vibrating, I'm not sure. It only started doing it tonight when our furnace kicked on. We have a gas furnace (forced hot air) and a gas water heater. Any idea as to why this vibrating happens? It is very annoying... especially when it may end up waking up my 3 year old and 4 month old!!! When it first started doing it last year, I tried to find where it was coming from by looking at the pipes downstairs, but I could not.

Old 10-17-05, 08:08 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
pipes

well it sounds like air in lines from hot water and furnace, if it's also water feed id say to much air not enough water pipes could be to small . but you could try putting a clamp on pipes frist were they shake and see if that stops it that would be my guess

Old 10-18-05, 11:53 AM
jbp13
Visiting Guest
Thanks lenny56769... my wife told me that the toilet does make a sound everytime right before the vibrating starts. I shut the water off at the toilet last night and the vibrating stopped. I also noticed that after I take a shower and turn the water off, the toilet makes that same hissing/running noise. My wife actually informed me that she works with someone whose husband is a plumber so she is going to ask him about having the air taken out of the pipes. I'll reply back when I know something more.

Old 10-18-05, 06:29 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
jbp13, It could be the fill valve on the toilet. You may want to buy a Fluidmaster 400 fill valve. About $6 at Home Centers. Easy to install and has great instructions. Good luck.

Old 10-28-05, 11:23 AM
M
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Often if there is a sharp turn in your waste pipes (between 60 to 90 degrees) your pipes will rattle horribly if someone flushes, drains, etc. When the water reaches the bend the force causes the pipes to move. This is called water hammer. If you can locate the source of the movement you can put a damper on the pipes at that location. Hope this helps.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: