Locating the waste line for a new stool

Old 10-19-05, 03:33 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Locating the waste line for a new stool

Hi,

I have a 12 x 12 basement utility room, I have the space to put in a much needed toilet in that room. Currently there is waste water from the washer draining in a corner and the kitchen upstairs drains through this room as well.

The problem is Im not sure if I can tie into one of these waste pipes below the concrete Im not sure they are big enough (I think our county requires a 3 or 4 line for the toilet). One thing Im pretty sure of is the main waste line for the house exits from this room or the adjoining room the local water & sewer company told me that last year.

How can one find the exact location of such lines can a qualified plumber locate them somehow? Or do I need to rip up the concrete floor to do so? Actually, Id love to put in a surface drain or two in the room, so ripping up the floor wouldnt be the worse thing.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Bob

Old 10-19-05, 03:47 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
It is highly likely that the main drain line is directly behind the upstairs toilet. It would then drop down and through the basement before going to the sewer. Most areas require a 3 or 4" line for toilets.
If you look on your roof, you will probably see the vent pipe sticking out. This is most likely in line with the toilet. The vent is an upwards continuation of the drain line. Plumbing is pretty straight forward as far as running the lines gos. Good luck.

Old 10-19-05, 06:01 PM
B
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I see where the vent pipe is, the toilet upstairs (1 story house) is pretty much in the middle of the house on the opposite side where my utility room is. So the main waste line goes from there and (I believe) eventually goes through my utility room. I guess what I'd like to do is locate exactly where that line runs when it exits the house. How do people determine that? From what the person said from my local utility, the main line doesn't exit the house near the toilet, but on the side of the house (as opposed to the front, where the toilet is).

Old 10-19-05, 06:09 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
You MAY be lucky enough to have a clean-out either in the house or immediatly outside the house. it would have a cap/plug on it for cleaning out the main should a blockage occur. Check the floor in the basement and right outside the house on the end where you have been told it exits. Plumbing runs reasonably straight so that would give you an idea of where the line is. The city may have a drawing also if the house was built under a permit.

Old 10-19-05, 06:26 PM
B
Unfortunately - there's no clean out outside the house. We have a manhole in the back of our lot, at first I thought that's where we drain. But when a neighbor's line backed up, the local sewer agency told me the manhole was there to service the neighbor's line (we are on a hill, they are about 10' lower). We don't go directly to the manhole, the line continues along our lot & we connect down the line somewhere.

Thanks for the idea regarding the city (county) - the house was built in the 50's, perhaps they have a plan. If not, I guess I could tear up the floor.

Thanks again!
Bob

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: