finding sewer clean out

Old 10-20-05, 02:56 PM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
finding sewer clean out

Every once in a while lately my washing machine backs up water in the basement drain, and now I have a friend staying with me and she says the toilet won't take paper down it (among other things). I was going to rent a snake, but then it dawned on me that I have never seen a clean out any where. So, do I just start digging my back and front yards up? Or is there a way to locate a clean out? I don't know if it matters, but this house is about a hundred years old.

Old 10-20-05, 03:08 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
At the age of your home, you may not have a clean-out. Washing machine drains collect a lot of lint. If the toilet drain connects to the washer drain, there may be a clog there. I would try an enzyme drain cleaner such as Draincare. It clings to the clogs and "eats" them. Unlike caustic drain OPENERS that eat a hole and then run down the drainpipe. Leaving a partial clog to start a repeat process. Draincare is about $8 at Home Centers, Walmart and even some hardware stores. Follow the label directions (including using hot water) and you should see a difference. It does take overnight, but DOES work. Good luck.

Old 10-20-05, 06:39 PM
N
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thank you Majakdragon! I'll try it!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: