Acrylic Shower pan installation on top of tile??

Old 10-24-05, 11:13 AM
Paul Bamberg
Visiting Guest
Acrylic Shower pan installation on top of tile??

Help???
Im in the process of installing a new shower pan (and shower). The new pan in 36.5 inches square where the old one was 36" square. The new pan will not fit into the 36" cavity unless I chip out the existing to tile to the new 36.5 dimension. Instead can I add a new subfloor (appox 1 inch) to raise the floor level to the tile and then install the pan on top of the tile (and level sub-floor)?? I had to relocate the drain, so the new drain plumbing can be adjusted to fit. What kind of drain do you recommend?? Id like to use a drain where the flange is on the bottom of the pan and a threaded colllar is screwed into the flange from top. Seems to me this style would be easier to install.
Most Sincerely,
Paul Bamberg

Old 10-24-05, 09:39 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If you can, take pictures and link them from www.photobucket.com so we can better understand your situation; I follow you until you mention installing ontop of tile when you say you are raising the floor 1". I would use a no-caulk all brass shower drain. This will allow you to work on this drain down the road perhaps there be an issue with it.

Old 10-25-05, 07:21 AM
Paul Bamberg
Visiting Guest
Better explaination

Thank you for the quick response!!! Ill try to take some pics tonight!! The original shower pan sat directly on the sub-floor. The cement backer board and the tile were laid around the shower pan. When I removed the original shower pan, there is now a cavity that is 36 by 36 inches where the shower pan was. This cavity is about 1 inch deep. The new shower pan is a 1/2 inch larger and will not fit in the cavity where the old pan was. My options are add 1 inch of additional sub-floor so that the floor under the shower pan is the same height as the tile floor. Then I would install the shower pan over this new level floor. Or; I would have to enlarge the existing shower pan cavity by chipping out an extra 1/2 inch clearance around the existing tile. If I chipped out the tile to enlarge the cavity, then the new shower pan would fit and I would retain the way it was orginally installed. Which way should I install the new shower pan?????
Help??????
Most Sincerely
Paul Bamberg

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: