Hot water mixing valve

Old 10-24-05, 01:31 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hot water mixing valve

Our domestic hot water is provided off a coil on the boiler (oil). Currently all of our water lines are 1/2" and I'm upgrading them to 3/4". The current setup on the boiler has the cold water going in, a hot water line coming out that goes into the mixing valve along with a branch from the cold water. Then the hot water line goes from the mixing valve to the rest of the fixtures. The 3/4" mixing valve I got shows an illustration of a hot water line going directly from the coil to "appliances" and a branch from that going to the mixing valve. Since that direct hot water line doesn't exist in my current setup, I'm wondering if and why I would need it.

Thanks,

Old 10-24-05, 07:37 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
You need a mixing/tempering valve due to the fact that the water from your boiler is way too hot to go to the fixtures.

Old 10-25-05, 08:39 AM
B
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I'm not questioning the need for the mixing valve. It's the hot water line shown in the installation illustration for the new valve that bypasses the valve and goes to "appliances". I don't currently have that - all hot water comes from the mixing valve. It seems to me that running a direct hot water line would send out water that was too hot. So when I replace the 1/2" lines with 3/4" can I keep the existing layout or, for some code reason or other that I don't understand, does there need to be a direct line from the coil to the "appliances".

Thanks,

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: