Main water line

Old 10-25-05, 01:40 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Main water line

I'm currently doing a rehab on a 100 year old house that needs a new water line installed between the house and meter. I tried to hook onto the old pipe but it was rotten. I broke up the sidewalks today and I am going to get going on the replacement tomorrow. This is an old neighborhood, all utilities are above ground, so I don't see a problem with renting a trencher and digging the trench myself, I have already dug access holes under the house. I guess a couple of questions that I have, is should I break up the sidewalk or go under, what type copper should I run? I live in Kentucky, so I am assuming 3 feet will be deep enough. Any other tips would be appreciated.

Old 10-25-05, 07:01 PM
Code in Ky is 36", use L soft or K is even better. Backfill with sand for instant compaction; dirt can be risky for the reason of rocks in the soil along with voids under the piping can cause undo pressure when backfilling.

Old 10-25-05, 07:47 PM
B
Thanks for the reply. I am going to use soft K copper. Should this be 1 inch or 3/4, also I have to turn 90 degrees at the end of the run, would an elbow be acceptable, or does this need to be bent. One last question, what size connection will be at the meter.

Old 10-25-05, 07:58 PM
3/4" is plenty. The waterworks will stub out 3/4" K so you will have to buy a ford fitting to join the two. If you run 3/4" K, then you could stub into the pit itself and the waterworks will connect straight to that pipe. Nothing wrong with 90's in the line, it's best that it is inside the home, not in the yard.

Always avoid connections outside the home, they can cause problems. One continuous line is best.

Old 10-26-05, 01:12 PM
B
Hello Dunbar, thanks for all your advice. I have a trencher rented for Friday. This ford fitting you talk about, is this a special fitting for water meters and will I need a special tool for this fitting and how does it connect on both sides. By the way Go Cats.........

Old 10-26-05, 02:27 PM
Water pipe under sidewalk

Dunbar Plumber has you covered pretty good. If you don't want to break up your sidewalk dig a trench the width plus swinging room and drive a one inch steel pipe under it,[make sure you have a cap on the end], you will need a trench on the other end also,[working room]. You will need these trenches even if you use a trench machine, they will only dig near your connection point. Lots of luck.

Old 10-26-05, 08:55 PM
Ford is a brand name........slang in my woods. It is a brass fitting that connects two pipes together. If it was my home, I would run K continuous into the home, no connections underground to worry about.

Old 10-28-05, 04:58 PM
B
Well I thought I would check in and you let know the results of my with day with the trencher. Took a while to get used to the trencher, you have to manipulate about three levers at the same time and steering is like backing a trailer, everything is backwards. Things were going great and I had trenched about 3/4's of the seventy foot run when I saw some chunks of tile coming up. Uh oh, you guessed it, I hit the sewer line with only 10 feet left to go. I really smacked it good, no patching it up. Called in a plumber and he is going to fix the whole mess next week. Getting a new water line and sewer line. I think the plumber gave me a good price. $1300 for both on a seventy foot run. Well it was fun day and it only cost me $1400. Any way thanks for all the advice, but there are some things that are better left to the professionals

Last edited by BrentTurner; 10-28-05 at 06:44 PM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: