Riser clamps?

Old 10-27-05, 08:44 PM
awesomebase
Visiting Guest
Riser clamps?

I am putting 2" PVC conduit into my home to run Cat5e wiring through it and am in need of riser clamps (so I've been told) in order to hold the PVC pipe off the ground in the basement (ideally about 6' off the ground). However, Home Depot doesn't carry it and I can't see to spot in on Lowe's web site (though it may be in one of their stores). Can anybody verify that this is the right thing to use and also if some one can point out a good web site where I can find the particular item? Thanks!

Old 10-27-05, 10:11 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by awesomebase
I am putting 2" PVC conduit into my home to run Cat5e wiring through it and am in need of riser clamps (so I've been told) in order to hold the PVC pipe off the ground in the basement (ideally about 6' off the ground). However, Home Depot doesn't carry it and I can't see to spot in on Lowe's web site (though it may be in one of their stores). Can anybody verify that this is the right thing to use and also if some one can point out a good web site where I can find the particular item? Thanks!
I doubt if there are any plumbing or electrical codes (<40volts) that apply so usse whatever serves the purpose. If you what to use PVC, I'd put a reducer "T" every 4 feet or whatever (non-glued for future access) and support it with 1/2 inch PVC pipe connected to the T's.

Old 10-28-05, 01:19 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
2" PVC seems sorta gigantic for home cat5 cabling. But if you have a riser going up through the floor, a riser clamp wouldn't hurt; it'll support the vertical weight. Try a plumbing or electrical supply house. You could also add a pull-string for future wiring.

Old 10-28-05, 05:25 AM
Riser clamps are also called friction clamps. They are two pieces of steel that are curved to fit whatever pipe size you are using. They have a flat piece at each end of the curve with a hole in each end. This clamp bolts around the pipe and is normally used for vertical risers. Being just a bit small for the pipe size, it holds by friction, thus the name. Good luck.

Old 10-28-05, 06:54 AM
awesomebase
Visiting Guest
Recommendations

Thanks to all that have replied! Yes, 2" PVC is pretty large, and in fact, there are two runs of conduit that I'll be installing. I'll definitely be keeping a drop line for any future additions/modifications to the wiring. I'm just trying to ensure that the conduit is somewhat stable when it is installed. I need to find a place that sells the risers! Can anybody help? Thanks!

Old 10-28-05, 07:57 AM
This is a picture of what a riser/friction clamp looks like. The arms on the picture are a bit longer than the ones I have used but this is the clamp I was refering to. You might be able to print the picture and take it with you to a plumbing supply center.

http://www.erico.com/public/images/p...pe/risercl.jpg

These clamps can also be used horizontally by hanging the clamp on threaded rods instead of using the bolts.
Good luck

Old 10-28-05, 08:03 AM
awesomebase
Visiting Guest
Pic

Thanks Majakdragon for the pic! I've seen what they look like and my only real requirement aside from fitting the actual pipe is that the arms should not extend too far out of the sides because space is somewhat limited. I think probably 3" on each side would be good to do if I can manage it. I'll have to find a plumbing supply store in my neck of the woods (I'm close to the BWI airport south of Baltimore). Thanks!

Old 10-28-05, 08:08 AM
You can cut the arms if they are too long. As long as the bolt holes remain you should be fine. If you noticed in the picture,the bolt holes are right next to the bend for the clamp. You should be able to cut to within an inch of these.

Old 10-28-05, 09:25 PM
You'll want short-ear, or just 'short' riser clamps. They're a common item at any plumbing supply; not sure about the big box stores though. Here's a picture: http://www.pipingtech.com/products/p...lamp/fig50.htm

Old 10-31-05, 07:18 PM
clake
Visiting Guest
You can buy riser clamps at McMaster-Carr. Website Mcmaster.com. Look on pg 1350 for 2" pipe size. Anyone can buy from M-C

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: