Crossed Pipes??

Old 10-28-05, 01:31 PM
rafleisc
Visiting Guest
Question Crossed Pipes??

Am not making this up. Have a problem where when we run the Cold water in our bathroom, it will run HOT for a while (30 seconds) before turning cold. Additionally, about a year ago, the hot water pipe froze leading into the Bathroom. Odd thing was that if we left the hot faucet open on one of the sinks and ran the cold in adjoining sink....cold water came out of both faucets. Before I start opening drywall...does anyone have any ideas?

Old 10-28-05, 02:50 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
rafleisc, Welcome to the DIY Forums.
Before tearing into the drywall, check the faucets. Turn off the hot or cold supply line under the sink and then open the faucet for the water you turned off. The cross-over may be in the faucet body itself. This happens with low end faucets. Good luck.

Old 10-28-05, 05:06 PM
rafleisc
Visiting Guest
Pipes still crossed

Just tried your suggestion, Thank you by the way. With the hot water shut offs in the closed position for both sinks, the cold only ran in the sink that I turned on. As I'm examining this much closer what I did notice is that the water ran cold for 15-30 seconds, then ran warm/hot for about 15 seconds before running cold. Could there be another faucet somewhere in the house that is causing the crossover and if so...any ideas on how to find it?
Thanks again.

Old 10-28-05, 06:45 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am wondering if it is possible that your cold water line is running next to a heat source such as duct work. This could be heating up a section of the cold water line and would explain why it goes back to cold in a short time. It is possible but unlikely that another faucet is causing this. You could try turning off other supply lines but you would have to wait a while between each test to let the cause get "heated up" again.

Old 10-31-05, 12:08 PM
RaleighL
Visiting Guest
This is just a shot in the dark, but how close is your water heater? If your cold water pipe branches off near the water heater supply pipe, it may be that some of the hot water is being siphoned back through the supply pipe. I noticed this phenomenon when I was replacing a valve near the inlet of my water heater -- hot water coming out of a cold-water pipe.

Old 11-01-05, 09:16 AM
B
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Do you have a heat tape on your water line, like for a mobile home or cold crawlspace?

When the weather cools and the heat tape comes on this will definitely heat up the water for a few seconds, espically noticable in the morning.

Baldwin

Old 11-01-05, 12:48 PM
rafleisc
Visiting Guest
Cold Water Supply - Crossed Pipes

Thanks to all for the suggestions. Checked the pipes, peeled back the pipe insulation and sure enough the cold water supply felt warm/hot just above the T where it feeds the Hot Water heater. Looks like the hot water is backing into the Cold water supply. Only question now is, can something be done about. Is there a backflow preventer for something like this?

Old 11-01-05, 06:34 PM
B
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Well...I think you are worrying too much about a little hot water, maybe not.

I'll take a guess here, your cold water feeds the heater and from that 'T' on top goes to your faucets, correct?

If so...when the water heater is heating, the water in it expands. If you have an open system the expanding hot water has no where to go except where it came from, up the cold water inlet toward the street or well.

You can buy 'heat trap nipples' but that won't matter. When water expands it HAS to go somewhere. Doesn't sound like you have an expansion tank, something I know nothing about.

Make sense?

Baldwin

Old 11-02-05, 12:52 AM
P
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Two other thing you might want to check. It could be your shower valve or clothes washer that is causing the problem. You can might check and see if your shower valve becomes warm to touch when you run water to your sink.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: