Is this normal

Old 11-06-05, 10:57 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Is this normal

Today has been a pretty windy day and I have noticed the water in our toilets have been sloshing around pretty good. Along with the sloshing I noticed the water level has dropped a little bit. Is this normal for a windy day?I have a low water toilet(1.6 gallon)

Old 11-06-05, 11:57 AM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
I have the same problem on rare occasions when the wind is really blowing - like yesterday. It's basically a matter of physics. The wind blowing across your vent pipe on the roof creates a minor vacuum in the system and can make the water level in your toilets fluctuate slightly.

The same thing can happen on non - windy days if you have any obstructions in your vent/drain system.

Old 11-13-05, 10:44 AM
W
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mgfarmer
Today has been a pretty windy day and I have noticed the water in our toilets have been sloshing around pretty good. Along with the sloshing I noticed the water level has dropped a little bit. Is this normal for a windy day?I have a low water toilet(1.6 gallon)
One day I was in a highrise repairing a shower valve when I noticed the water level in the toilet bowl was very low (a 3 1/2 gallon flush tank). I augered the toilet , everything was fine. Moments later I noticed the bowl was almost empy again. I filled the bowl, put a load of paper in the bowl (it will back up the toilet if there is a partial obstruction) and flushed the toilet, everthing was fine. I then watched as the water siphoned out of the bowl and noticed a heavy gust of wind outside. After observing about 10-15 minutes I noticed that every time there was a heavy gust of wind the toilet would siphon out almost emtying the bowl.

Old 11-15-05, 11:27 AM
jwendt2003
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by mgfarmer
Are the toilets inside or outside?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: