Pressure regulator valve problems

Old 11-07-05, 08:56 AM
jlukasavige
Visiting Guest
Pressure regulator valve problems

I posted a problem that I'm having with a water heater in a previous thread: http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=239692

Now, I'm pretty sure that it's a problem with the pressure regulator on the house.

I just hooked up a pressure guage to an outside faucet and I'm getting 140 psi. I'm assuming that this is way to high. I've heard 80 is normal. I took a picture of the regulator and that can be seen by clicking here: http://home.nc.rr.com/lukasavige/Img2005-11-07_0001.jpg

I've turned the nut on the valve both ways, but the pressure does not change from 140 psi.

I don't have any PEX tools. Is there and easy way to replace this? I have decent soldering skills as long as I can get the water out of the pipes. I'd also replace that shutoff valve with a 1/4 turn levered ball valve.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited by jlukasavige; 11-07-05 at 09:18 AM.
Old 11-07-05, 12:11 PM
jlukasavige
Visiting Guest
After further research, I've found out that the valve is a Wilkins 70. I just went through everyone in the phone book looking for a Wilkins rebuild kit. The only place that has them available has to order them. The price with shipping will be about the same price as a new one.

I'm now trying to figure out how to replace it. I'm not sure if the whole house is PEX or not, but I don't have any tools. I think my choices are either PEX or sweat. It's a very wierd setup as you can see in the picture posted by the link above. I guess I'll get rid of the PEX (the bottom of the valve looks the same as the top) and throw in some 3/4" copper and sweat a new PRV as well as shutoff valve.

Anyone see any problems with that choice?

Old 11-07-05, 02:24 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
PRV valve

If you plan to install a new PRV valve and use copper, thats fine, see if you can give yourself unough room after the valve to install a pressure gage that way you can see what your pressure is right at the valve, thats the way they should be installed. You should install a union on the top, that will make your soldering much easier.If a pressure is above the rating of the valve it won't fall unless you relieve it and try again. 80lb. is the max. that you can run on domestic water under most codes, you don't want to set it that high. On a average house I would set it at 6olb. Hope this helps. Luck.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: