Novice: Brass to PVC?

Old 11-15-05, 08:08 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Novice: Brass to PVC?

Howdy-

I'm pretty sure my 1978 house has copper pipes in all the plumbing. I'm putting in a new shower valve set because I'm removing the old shower down to the wall and figured this was the time to do it.

I don't want to deal with welding. Based on what I've read about iron-to-pvc - and hoping it can be follwed for copper-to-pvc/plastic/whatever - can I simply cut my old pipes below the elbow, sand the edge, insert a male adapter and use PVC until the point of connection to the new shower valve? Is there such a thing as a plastic/pvc/whatever male adapter that can go into copper pipe?

If what I've written above won't fly, what will?

Old 11-16-05, 06:50 AM
L
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
yep you got it thats how its done male copper to pvc fem

Old 11-16-05, 09:58 AM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Someone correct me if I'm wrong

I'm under the impression that PVC is "not legal" for water supply. CPVC - yes.... PVC - no

Old 11-16-05, 10:42 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
A couple of points to cover here.
1) Most codes do not allow PVC inside the house. Only to the outside wall. CPVC is permissible.
2) You can go to another material but I don't know of a connector that I would put in a wall and be comfortable that it isn't going to leak. What you should do in your case is sweat a female adapter on where you want to change material and then use a male adapter to go from there. Female plastic adapters are also banned in most codes. They have a habit of splitting.
3) Sweating copper is not a big deal. I have included a link that is interactive if you have questions about doing it. If you go with plastic, make sure you secure it well or you will find that it makes a racket in the walls as it expands and contracts.
Good luck with your project.

http://www.doityourself.com/info/h2handlecopper.htm

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: