Loud Booming noise in water pipes

Old 11-16-05, 12:24 PM
sherellefrench
Visiting Guest
Cool Loud Booming noise in water pipes

Hi I am a new resident to the cold temps of Colorado and have no idea what the droning/boom sound in the basement of my house could be from. It is from my water pipes and usually goes on when the water is turned on form any tap in the house. It also goes on throughout the day randomly despite the water being turned on. It can last for up to 30 sec and is loud enough to be heard from teh street outside. This only happens when the weather gets cold. We usually turn the heat off in our home in the nights and the house may get down to the 50's at times. Could this be a problem? Should be leave the heat on at a certain range continuallly through the winter. I would really appreciate your advice

Old 11-16-05, 12:40 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
sherellefrench, Welcome to the DIY Forums.
You may have high water pressure. I would get an inexpensive gauge from a home center. They screw onto an outside faucet. Anything over 80 pounds is high. If the pressure is higher than this, you may want to install a pressure regulator in the waterline where it enters the house.
If it were just the hot water, I would think it is expansion of the pipes. This could cause the noises as the pipe expands and rubs against studs or joists.
You may want to try to pinpoint the noise by going to the basement and having someone else turn on water fixtures. Good luck.

Old 11-16-05, 12:54 PM
sherellefrench
Visiting Guest
Water pipe noise

Thanks for that. I think the water pressure may be it as the sound happens with both cold and hot water. We just turned off the outside valve which was leaking due to the cold weather and this then started the noise. What do you think? I may go and get the pressure regulator as you mentioned. Thanks kindly

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: