condensation pump drain

Old 11-19-05, 09:27 AM
hd101
Visiting Guest
condensation pump drain

I just installed a new heat pump w/ a gas furnace back up. Installed on the furnace is a Honeywell humidifier that is wired to come on when there is a call for heat from the furnace. I installed a Little Giant condensation pump which is draining outside through the foundation wall with the line set for the heat pump. I have noticed there is way too much water being drained to let lay along the foundation wall. I am also concerned the line will freeze and back up the pump. Is there any way possible to tap this condensation drain into my kitchen sink/dishwasher drain? This line is a 2" PVC which goes directly to my sewer drain. How do I tap the 3/8" clear vinyl tube from the condensation pump into the PVC? Are there special fittings for this application? I am on public water and sewer so I have no concerns about the lines ever backing up, but I am concerned about sewer gases entering the pump line. Is this a common practice or should it be avoided?

Old 11-19-05, 01:04 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The condensate drain would need to be an indirect connection through an air gap, such as putting tube in a washing machine standpipe, into a laundry sink (above the flood rim) or into an air gap above a trap, like the disposer.

Old 11-19-05, 07:53 PM
hd101
Visiting Guest
Thanks 594 for the reply. I had a guy tell me today that if I just ran a 2" T with a barbed adaptor to connect my drain tube from the pump into my sink drain everything would be fine. He also suggested putting a trap in the drain tube back to the pump just in case. Any input?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: