Tub Drain Removal

Old 11-22-05, 05:30 PM
chickenstar
Visiting Guest
Tub Drain Removal

I posted this in the "Toilets, Sinks, Showers, and Tubs" forum and was referred here.

I have what I assume is a "roller ball" tub drain in my bathtub (lift to drain, push down to seal). It does not have a trip lever. The tub is clogged and I need to remove it.
There is not a screw underneath the stopper and I have twisted this thing counter-clockwise until I am purple. It has not moved at all. I have already cleared the verticle pipe so the problem has to be in the horizontal one.
Am I missing something here?

Please help, this is driving me crazy .

Old 11-22-05, 05:35 PM
chickenstar
Visiting Guest
I should add that I am simply trying to get the plug/stopper out, not the drain itself.

Old 11-25-05, 01:05 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
With the drain open (up), you might try sliding a small pair of channel-locks (pliers) onto the vertical rod that's below the stopper.

Last edited by steve_gro; 11-25-05 at 09:49 PM.
Old 12-29-05, 08:20 PM
chickenstar
Visiting Guest
After a month, I have finally fixed this problem. I am posting this in case someone has a similar problem.
As stated before, the stopper is a "roller ball." Normally, these simply screw off to expose the catch in the bottom of the drain. Some models have a screw underneath the plug sealer. Mine had one extra feature. The actual knob that is used to pull the tub drain open unscrews from the stopper stem.
In order to get this open, I used a set of needle-nosed pliers to grab ahold of the stem underneath the stopper. I then used adjustable pliars to unscrew the "knob" from the stem.
Sounds simple enough, but nowhere on the internet did I find a "roller ball" stopper that was put together in this manner (i.e. the extra screw-off knob).
Thanks to all that attempted to help.
By the way, I am replacing this with a traditional trip lever model.

So, steve_gro, you were correct ...

Old 05-05-07, 08:56 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Roller Ball tub Drain replacement

Thank you so much for that last tip. It was exactly what I needed. I just bought a new assembly, and the instructions didn't even tell me this!

I noticed that when the top assembly was rotated, the entire rollerball section also rotated, so as you experienced, you will turn the mechanism counter-clockwise forever.

You need to "stop" the lower part of the assembly so you can rotate the top part. In my particular brand, the space between the opening is very small, so I'm not even sure I will be able to get a pair of needle-nose pliers down there once it is assembled...

I may be returning this model..

Doug A.

Old 05-28-07, 08:33 AM
D
This thread was very helpful for me, so I am posting some more tips/hints on how I got my drain stopper out, in case this can help anyone else.

I also have the roller-ball type stopper, and simply twisting it did not get it out. After reading this thread, I used a 15 mm open-end wrench to hold the bottom stem in place, while using adjustable lock-grip pliers to twist the top knob counter-clockwise. Note - the stem had to be turned to a certain direction for the open-end wrench to fit on it, as it is narrower on that side. Doing this, I was able to unscrew the knob.

Underneath the knob-portion was another metal piece which had to be unscrewed with a regular large-sized screwdriver. I still had to keep the open-end wrench in place, while unscrewing the top... since it was hard to unscrew, I snapped the adjustable lock-grip pliers around the handle of my screwdriver, to make it easier to turn. After unscrewing this part, the stopper came out. Finally !! :-)

Needle-nosed pliers then came in handy for pulling the hairy gunk out of the drain.

Old 06-16-07, 02:08 PM
M
Thanks!

The tips from Darkoshi worked like a charm for me...I too had been turning the roller-ball stopper in my tub counterclockwise to no avail. My husband is going to be very impressed. Thanks again!

Old 07-20-07, 08:29 AM
C
these aren't that bad after all

I just wanted to thank everyone who helped us with this problem. like others on here we had the rollerball tub drain w/o the set screw. after messing around w/ this demented jigsaw puzzle for several hours we finally figured out. when the stopper is down it locks and to get it to lock while it is up was like creating something from nothing even with the tools mentioned. we figured if you put the stopper down so it would lock and then lift up on it a hair (eighth of an inch or so) just so you can get some channel locks on it to turn it counter clockwise so the lock still catches -the stopper would unscrew. maybe this will help someone maybe it will not.

clayborn

Old 11-09-07, 08:07 AM
R
Thank you

Thankyou for your post it was very helpful

Old 11-18-07, 09:39 AM
S
Worked like a charm

THANKS...that was exactly what we needed..

Old 06-10-08, 12:31 AM
still need help

ok so i finally got the drain cap off and there is a long stem that i cannot unscrew. Mine is not a hex shape but round and my pliers cant get a good grip on it. Looks like this part was easy for you guys. Any exact steps for me? I have pushed the drain plug down to get better access to it but still to no avail. Please help

Old 06-18-08, 09:41 AM
C
I'm having the same problem and my situation is slightly different. By the way, thanks to all who replied here, I would not have gotten as far as I did without your advice. I've managed to hold the stem with needle nose vice grips and was able to unscrew the nob on top of the drain plug. But the drain plug won't come off. I can't see a slot where a screwdriver would work to unscrew the stem. It looks like a round brass head under where the nob came off. HELP

Old 06-19-08, 07:50 PM
C
Finally figured it out. I must be the the only one that has this type Watco drain. When I called their customer service, they didn't know what to tell me. They kept insisting there has to be a slot or hex head to unscrew the stopper. Turns out the stopper had to be rotated counter clockwise while holding on to the stem with needle nose. The stem is a permanent part of the drain in the tub.

Old 06-19-08, 10:21 PM
J
I Have a Watco unit--the drainage slowed more than normal ( which is horrible ) I plugged the overflow w/ a wet rag & used plunger-it opened w/out
removing anything.
I keep it open now by running hot water for 2-3 minutes twice a week.
It is a junk drain..........................

Old 07-06-08, 07:20 PM
G
Lightbulb pried mine out

I too had this type of drain in my tub. As we were trying to remove the stopper to work on a slow drain, I sheered off the nib. After reading this log, and the one that referred to it, I was trying to grab the metal post with needle nose pliers, but it wouldn't work.

When it didn't work, I inserted some needle nose pliers as deep as I could, then pushed the handles down onto the tub floor. At the same time, I pulled up on the top nob with some channel locks. That sheered off the small pin at the bottom of the assembly (I only know about it, because I just removed the drain from our other bathroom for a remodel), which released the drain plug. It does not require a lot of strength, just the coordinated push pull.

Hope this is helpful.

Old 02-16-09, 03:04 PM
D
Thank You...

I too have the Rollerball type of plug and I too rotated it counter-clockwise until I was dizzy.

I was able to get the top knob off with ease by pressing the drain closed and then twisting the knob counter-clockwise. But could not get the rest off! So, to the net I went and found this forum.

After reading but not understanding, I finally was able to remove the rest by simply inserting the point of an open pair of needle-nose pliers into the top hole of the center stem the knob screws on to and applying some downward pressure to force the pliers to snugly fit into the top of the stem hole. Holding that pressure, I then twisted the pliers (and stem) counter-clockwise and the stem unscrewed with no problem at all.

This removed the plug part and allowed me complete access to the nest of hair and soap scum that was causing my problem. The needle-nose were helpful is grabbing the hair and pulling it out.

It was a pain figuring this out this time and will take all of two minutes the next time I have to do this!!!

Old 03-20-10, 10:37 AM
N
Stopper won't stay open

this post is a lifesaver! I have a roller ball drain like this and it has been driving me crazy, trying to figure out how to remove it. Another problem I have...the stopper will close, but won't stay open (I have to prop it open to drain the water). Any idea what I do to fix that?? Thanks in advance!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: