Copper line pressure test.

Old 11-23-05, 04:46 PM
sth17
Visiting Guest
Copper line pressure test.

I am in the final stages of replacing my galvanized pipe with copper. I was told that I should check the pipes for leaks by conducting an air pressure test, prior to turning the water on. How is this done, and is it necessary?

STH17

Sponsored Links
Old 11-23-05, 05:02 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
An air test is the "safe" way to test. No mess if you have a leak. If this is to be inspected (per code) then an air test is required. If I was doing the work and I had joints that were in hidden areas, I would do an air test. You hook up a pressure gauge, valve and air connector on the end of the piping. Fill the pipe with whatever pressure you need and then turn off the valve. Watch the gauge for leaks. The other good thing about an air test is that if you have a leak, you don't have to drain down all the water to re-sweat a joint. Good luck

Old 11-23-05, 05:20 PM
B_Stephenson
Visiting Guest
Hello,

Yes it's a very good idea to airtest your copper piping system to check for leaks as it can be a pain to make repairs with water in the lines as well as making a mess.

There is what's called a test gauge assembly and should be available at the local supply house. Most have a 3/4" female iron pipe thread body with a gauge threaded into the side and nipple for an air chuck to be connected on the end. Then you can adapt to your piping system as needed.

I put 100+ PSI to a system when I test and leave it for atleast 30 minutes while I look and listen for leaks, then check for any loss of pressure at the gauge.

Hope that helps!