Replacing house's main water stop

Old 11-26-05, 07:15 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Replacing house's main water stop

A plumber told me I need to replace the main water shut off valve(inside house). The valve leaks and it is probably over 40 years old.

I purchased a B&K 3/4 600 psi water oil gas compression ball **** valve.

Should I use the compression valve and do it myself or pay a plumber to solder a valve in. The city is installing a new water meter so they will let me change the valve. I need to work fast. I can put a compression fitting valve in faster than a soldered valve. I could learn to solder a valve in but I don't want to bet my basement that I will do a good job.

Any installation tips for compression fitted valves. Should I use Pipe Dope on the threads.

Has anyone ever seen a compression valve leak(majorly) or blow off. I am worried about my basement flooding. I am not concerned with small drips. I can nip them up later.

Old 11-27-05, 07:57 AM
Replacing valve

If you have the right valve for the pipe that you are connecting to your line you should not have a problem, put a little pipe dope or oil on the threads and crank down tight[you can always tighten more but not less], its rare for a compression valve to leak. Luck.

Old 11-28-05, 04:10 AM
G
Normally there is a valve by the meter that you could turn off at any time if you needed to work on your house; I don't have a main cutoff valve in my house (or if I do, I've never been able to find it) so we have to use the street as the valve. It leaks, though, too. Having a "street key" designed to actuate this valve helps, but you could use a big wrench too.

Also, LOL that you can't say Ball **** Valve on this forum, I guess the automoderation is a little sensitive!

Old 12-05-05, 06:40 PM
J
Smile main shut off valve problem

I have a 1" main water shut off valve that allows water to leak through. The valve is 30 years old and does not leak but will not shut the water flow off completely. I need to do some other plumbing work and cannot until I fix this problem. Is it worthwhile to install a 1" compression valve after the main shut off valve versus getting a plumber in to shut the water off at the street and replace the main valve?

Old 12-05-05, 06:51 PM
S
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Here in NJ, the water company will turn their street "main" off and back on for you at a scheduled time for no charge, allowing you to replace the inside "main" properly.

I was able to put in a top quality 1/4 turn ball valve for the cost of the valve and $.07 worth of solder and flux.

Old 12-05-05, 07:48 PM
Most water companies will shut off the main to your house and give you a certain amount of time to work on the lines in the house. Have everything you think you will need ready to do the work. I would suggest a ball valve for replacement. Unscrew the old (probably gate valve) and use teflon tape or pipe dope compound and screw the new valve on. Probably a 5 minute job. Good luck.

Old 12-06-05, 12:15 PM
malcolmd
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by majakdragon
Most water companies will shut off the main to your house and give you a certain amount of time to work on the lines in the house. Have everything you think you will need ready to do the work. I would suggest a ball valve for replacement. Unscrew the old (probably gate valve) and use teflon tape or pipe dope compound and screw the new valve on. Probably a 5 minute job. Good luck.
Passaic Valley Water Commission in NJ replaced my shut off when they installed a new meter.

Old 12-06-05, 07:25 PM
malcolmd,
You are very lucky. I worked for the Water Department in Ohio and everything from the main shut-off at the curb was "your problem" even though the department owned the meter.

Old 12-11-05, 06:58 PM
I ended up hiring a plumber to do this job. The city won't let me book an appointment to get the meter changed unless the main stop is replaced first.

Good thing I hired a plumber because my water line to the house is refrigeration pipe. It's copper pipe but it's not the standard 3/4 size. It is slightly smaller in diameter. The plumber also had a key to shut off the water.

Old 12-11-05, 07:03 PM
Glad it all worked out for you...even thiugh you didn't get the chance to DIY. Maybe next time.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: