Basement Bathroom

Old 11-27-05, 11:04 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Basement Bathroom

I have a 1950's ranch (single level) I want to add a bathroom in the basement but I am not sure on the vent pipes for the fixtures to be added.

Can I run a horizontal pipe about 25 feet and tie into the main drain then tie all new fixtures to this pipe???

Where would I connect to the main drain/vent??

What size pipe would I run??

I realize I have to jackhammer the floor to run the drain pipes over to the main drain pipe. It won't be a long run because the main drain runs right past where the new bath will be and I know where it is because there is a cleanout sticking up through the floor right before it exits the house to go to the street.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-05, 12:31 PM
B_Stephenson
Visiting Guest
John,

take a look at the following illustration:

Posting links to other Forums in DIY is prohibited.

Notice that none of the venting system of the lower bath connects to the drain system of the upper bath.

Depending on your local code enforcement and your existing system, you'll need to find a vent pipe in a wall upstairs, in the attic, or run a separate vent altogether.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by majakdragon; 11-28-05 at 07:20 PM. Reason: Link to another Forum deleted
Old 11-27-05, 04:36 PM
So it looks like I tie in above the upstairs fixtures?

There still is the question of how far HORIZONTALY I can run the pipe?

The new bathroom will not be directly below the old one.

Thanks in advance.

Old 11-27-05, 09:29 PM
B_Stephenson
Visiting Guest
John,

as far as connecting the basement venting to the upper floor venting, yes, you would need to make the connection above the highest fixture flood rim. Another thing to consider would be the fixture units of your new bath and the fixture units of the upstairs plumbing of the vent piping you plan to connect to. You may need to upsize the existing vent pipe to accommodate all the fixtures.

For your question of horizontal length, again, depending on your local code enforcement, existing system and your structure, you could run your vent horizontal the approximate 25' you have suggested. Keep in mind you need to have a 1/4" per foot fall on the vent pipe when running it horizontal and your maximum developed length is 40' without having to bell up to the next size pipe.

Old 11-28-05, 05:03 AM
So how do you know how many fixtures your existing vent can handle?

Also when you say 1/4 in per foot fall on the pipe you mean from the new bath (low side) to the connection to existing vent (high side)?

Old 11-28-05, 03:50 PM
Bump....................................

Old 11-28-05, 04:02 PM
Originally Posted by JOHNJOHN
So how do you know how many fixtures your existing vent can handle?

Also when you say 1/4 in per foot fall on the pipe you mean from the new bath (low side) to the connection to existing vent (high side)?
My new basement bathroom has toilet/shower/tub/vanity all on the same 2 inch vent connecting into an existing 2inch vent that handles another basement toilet/vanity/shower. It is a 53ft horizontal run with a slope of 1/4inch/ft downwards (in other words, if the vent gets liquid in it... it will drain to the basement main drain and not collect in the vent piping).

Everything is to code and inspected/approved.

Old 11-28-05, 07:15 PM
I guess the thing that I really don't like is figuring out where to tie into the vent pipe.

Inside the wall? or attic?

Old 11-29-05, 04:37 PM
Bump......................................

Old 11-30-05, 04:09 AM
B_Stephenson
Visiting Guest
Well John, either way, your looking at running a vent pipe from the basement through the roof. Have you checked your local codes?

Old 11-30-05, 06:33 AM
No but I will. Thanks.

Old 11-30-05, 02:54 PM
Originally Posted by JOHNJOHN
I guess the thing that I really don't like is figuring out where to tie into the vent pipe.

Inside the wall? or attic?
I tied my new vent pipe into an existing "thru roof" vent pipe from the other same floor (basement) bathroom. You can tie into an existing vent pipe in your home as long as your connection is (check your code) a certain number of inches above the flood plain of that vent's highest fixtures.

Old 11-30-05, 03:27 PM
Vent Through The Roof

John I Have An Easy Out For Ya Run The Vent Up Through A Closet.once In The Attic You Can Tie It Back Or Put It Through The Roof. 2 Inch Should Be Fine. Im A Plumber Of 33 Years.

Old 12-04-05, 06:29 PM
Thanks for your help guys. I know what to do now.