Steel drain pipe flush at foundation -- how to connect?

Old 11-28-05, 12:54 PM
juanlovitz
Visiting Guest
Steel drain pipe flush at foundation -- how to connect?

Over thanksgiving the drain pipe from my kitchen sink clogged -- loads of fun. While working with the clog I traced it to the basement where it was surrounded with a 6" high cone of quickset over the foundation. The concrete loosened and came out, along with the unattached 1.5" steel pipe that was not attached to the pipe below. Now I have what seems to be a 1.5" steel pipe that starts at foundation level and does not have a lip or threads onto which I could attach the old or a new pipe.

Does anyone have any thoughts about how I might attach a new drain pipe from the sink to this pipe that goes to the main line? I tried to use some "Plumber's weld" to attach a new 1.5" pvc pipe to the old steel but it looks like it may be leaking a little bit. Help!?

Old 11-28-05, 01:47 PM
sjazz23
Visiting Guest
Chip out around the pipe that is flush with the cement and connect to the PVC with an appropriately sized Ferco (rubber sleeve with metal clamps to fasten). Any hardware store carries them.

Old 11-28-05, 02:46 PM
juanlovitz
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the great suggestion. Is it ok to leave the Ferco in permanently? I will not be able to pour additional concrete to make up for the chiseled area, correct?

Old 11-28-05, 06:23 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
The Ferno can be permanent. You could, for cosmetic purposes, smooth some filler around it but if you ever needed to remove it...nuff said. Good luck

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: