Extremely LOW Water Pressure

Old 11-29-05, 08:06 AM
lroach
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Extremely LOW Water Pressure

I'll start by saying I know next to nothing about plumbing! I just bought a 9 year old house. There are two bathrooms. The sink and shower in the master have no problems. The shower is fine in the secondary, but there is next to no pressure at the sink. The problem is with both hot and cold, and both are turned on (wide open) under the sink. The pressure is so low as to make it pointless to even attempt to wet a toothbrush. I'm having the exact same issue in the kitchen.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-05, 09:00 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Try to isolate where the problem is.

Disconnect the supply line from the shutoffs to the faucet. Place the supply line into a bucket and turn shutoff on. If you get good volume coming out, then the issue is in the faucet. It could be that the aeroator is all plugged up or an internal issue with the faucet.

If you have poor flow into the bucket, then it is the piping. It could be that there is a shutoff valve somehere and it is only partly on.

Old 11-29-05, 09:32 AM
lroach
Visiting Guest
Many thanks. I'll give that and try and will post my results.

Old 11-29-05, 11:20 AM
sjazz23
Visiting Guest
I'd definitely check the aerator (the part where the water actually comes out of the faucet). Shut off teh faucet, and the aerator should just unscrew. Once it's off, clean out the screen and open up the faucet to blow out the faucet. Put the aerator back in and see if that solves your problem. If not, I'd go the valve route mentioned above.

Old 11-29-05, 12:43 PM
lroach
Visiting Guest
Thanks sjazz. I didn't know that little screen is known as the "aerator", but I did unscrew it and take a look. I didn't see a problem. I know it's not likely related, but I'm have the same problem in two locations...the second bathroom AND the kitchen sink. Water merely trickles in those two places...pressure elsewhere in the house is great.

Old 11-30-05, 05:25 AM
lroach
Visiting Guest
Thanks to all. It proved to be the "aerator" after all! My initial check wasn't thorough enough it appears. I pulled the little sucker off a second time, and a more vigorous inspection was the ticket. I just KNEW it couldn't be something so simple...

Bathroom sink issue resolved. I'm on now to the kitchen sink where I expect to find something similar. Thanks again.

Old 12-02-05, 10:59 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If the aerator was filled with little white chips, do a google for:

"water heater" AND diptube