Sulfur Smelling Water

Old 12-05-05, 11:08 AM
popov4u
Visiting Guest
Sulfur Smelling Water

I installed a new sink and faucet several of months back and for the past 3 or 4 weeks a sulfur smell has arisen. The smell was not bad, but has grown more pungent. It usually take a 5-10 seconds of running water to make the smell go away. I have read elsewhere that this smell is caused by a bacteria in the wtaer tank. This sounds reasonable, but it seems as though this issue would cause ALL of the faucets in the house to smell sulfuric, but it is only the upstairs bathroom sink and possibly the toilet, but not the shower/tub. It is because of the smell not coming out of all of the faucets that leads me to believe that the bacteria might not be the problem.

Has anybody seen an issue similar to this?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-05, 04:39 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Did

Did you by any chance bypass the drain trap.

Old 12-06-05, 06:14 PM
popov4u, Welcome to the DIY Forums.
Is the smell coming from the sink or the water? What I am thinking is that perhaps the smell is coming from the overflow in the sink. When you run water, the drain is connected to this overflow and it may be pushing the smell out. If it is coming from the sink itself, try putting in the stopper, put a cup of bleach in the bowl and then let water run until it goes through the sink overflow. This will rinse that area . This is the only way I know of getting to the area. Good luck.

Old 12-07-05, 06:14 AM
popov4u
Visiting Guest
Question Re: Sulfur Smelling Water

Thank you for your reply and I will try that tonight. One question though, how does that build up in the overflow if we have only had the sink and faucet for only 2 or 3 months and too the best of my knowledge the sink has never been filled up to the overflow?

Old 12-07-05, 08:22 PM
You have no idea where the sink sat before you bought it. There lies the problem.