what needs to be done for inspection?


Old 12-05-05, 01:40 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 33
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
what needs to be done for inspection?

Hi - I am finishing my basement, and have a question about the plumbing for hot water radiators and for the kitchen and bathroom. I am not sure how much needs to be done for the town inspection that happens before the sheetrock goes up. I know it must vary from place to place, but just thought I would ask.

To be more specific,here is what I am wondering:

I have to hook up the heating zone after the first inspection. (since radiators go on after sheetrock) Do you think I can wait until after the inspection to hook up my hot and cold water to by bathroom and kitchen? I would run all the pipes, just not hook them into the existing plumbing. I don't want to pay a plumber twice to come and drain all the pipes and water tank, etc. I would rather just have it all hooked up at the same time.

Thanks for any advice,
Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-05, 06:45 PM
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 606
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Lets see if my reply holds up to the pros...

In general, depending upon where you live, heating mods don't require inspection except for things like gas connections and supply piping. The plumbing requires a rough and final inspection.

I would guess you haven't started talking to plumbers yet or they would tell you that.

Good luck!
Old 12-05-05, 07:53 PM
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: hawaii
Posts: 299
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
you need to have the hot and cold water lines pressurized or tested to ensure there are no leaks before closing the walls (a pinhole leak will do a lot of damage by the time you even realize you have a leak).
Old 12-06-05, 06:47 PM
cgar's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: MA
Posts: 170
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sounds like you are adding or extending to your current heating system.

I doubt that you even need a permit for this work. If you were replacing the boiler than a permit would be required. Adding to extending zones are not (at least around here).

I have never come across a situation where the piping for a hot water system must be pressure tested by code.
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: