I need help getting plumber to do the job he was hired for.

Old 12-05-05, 02:48 PM
elfworks00
Visiting Guest
Angry I need help getting plumber to do the job he was hired for.

We are building our first new house in Pennsylvania. The contractor supplied all of the subcontractors. We are down to the last draw and the contractor has most of his money. The problem is the plumber. The well pump has not been connected to the house and the inside sewer lines have not been run. The septic system is connected and tested. The same plumber has installed the furnaces, but has only run run a few of the ducts.

The plumber will not return calls and has only worked about two days in the past month. The contractor keeps telling us that he has talked to the plumber and he is coming out the following day. He never shows up. We need a use and occupancy permit in order to move in. This isn't going to happen unless the plumber gets his job done.
Any suggestions on how to get this problem resolved. What agencies do we complain to. We have now heard from other people that this plumber is known for this kind of thing.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-05, 04:40 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Talk to the county or city permit people. They can get you in touch with the contractor board that issues trade licenses.

Light a fire and you will get results.

Good luck...

Old 12-05-05, 05:05 PM
A GC is responsible for his subs. Tell him to get the guy there tomorrow or he can get another sub on the job. If he balks, start looking for a lawyer.

Old 12-05-05, 05:42 PM
In your area do contractors have to post completion bonds? If so, start talking to the contractor licensing board. They love this stuff!

Old 12-05-05, 05:50 PM
Take over permits can be granted by the plumbing licensing board here in Ky when there is problems between the homeowner and plumber.

I've been asked numerous times to do take over work, won't do it. Kind of an unwritten rule that you never step on another man's work. Beside that, doesn't matter what you charge, the work always seems to be jumbled, extensive more than you gave a price on.

I did a finish for a guy that the original plumber butchered the job completely. Like a fool I gave set prices and sure enough, found all kinds of hidden problems with the customer unwilling to pay for the additional work. I am time and materials for work done, not changing that either.

Old 12-06-05, 04:34 PM
Push

As I see it, your plumber is on another job working for someone who is yelling louder and more frequently than you (or your contractor.) I would call your contractor 3 times a day. --Do the broken record technique.