solder question

Old 12-06-05, 07:48 PM
solder question

Another rookie question, as it's my first time soldering pipe. I'm piping a basement bathroom. Thus far, everthing is fine....guess I'm just curious. How much solder is too much? I've already branched off the main line and installed ball valves. Turned the water back on, and everything's holding just fine. The joints are actually pretty smooth, with no big globs or runs - saw the solder suck in. From the ball valves, I've ran the toilet and sink lines....haven't test them yet.

On a few of the joints, I've noticed a icesickle of sorts hanging off the underside - nothing very big, but possibly a sign of too much solder?? I guess my question is - how much excessive solder will effect joint integrity? I know...rookie question.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-05, 08:35 PM
From your description it appears that your are 99% there. You should however wipe away any excess solder with a dry rag, giving you a smooth and professional finish to the job.

Old 12-07-05, 07:35 AM
It is OK to add solder until a drop runs out the bottom. Any more and you are just wasting solder. I should add that on a vertical joint (socket up) you should be very sparing with solder, or you could end up with globs on the inside of the pipe.

Last edited by 594tough; 12-07-05 at 07:37 AM. Reason: add