Venting Basement Bathroom... Do I even need to?

Old 12-08-05, 03:16 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Venting Basement Bathroom... Do I even need to?

I posted last week about venting my basement bath. And since I have spoken to the plumbing co. that did the rough in while my house was built last year. They told me that no, the pipes are not vented through the roof and that they only vent them on finished basements. I asked if I could use a Studor Vent and if it was up to code in my area. He said "sure". My wife spoke w/our home builder today and asked why they hadn't vented the pipes even though we paid for the rough in. He gave her the same story the plumber did but also went on to say that the pipes did not have to be vented. This because the pipes drain on a slope directly to the sewer lines.

My question... Do I need to vent my Bathroom (shower, sink, toilet), and wet bar sink? Or is it not even necessary? Thanks!

Old 12-08-05, 03:39 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
You are talking to the wrong people. Call the local Plumbing inspection and code office. I really don't see how the house got a final inspection and occupancy permit without the plumbing...ALL OF IT being vented. Does not matter if it is finished or unfinished basement.
Bottom line: If you have plumbing that is not vented, whether code applies or not, it will not work properly. Without vents, every time you use one of the fixtures, it will need air and since there is no vent, it will suck air from wherever it can. " WHEREVER", is the closest fixture trap. Once the trap is sucked down, sewer gas will enter the house.
One last question. Did the contractor/plumber install the fixtures (toilet sink, shower and bar sink) or did you finish up the bathroom after you moved in? If it was installed before you moved in, it should have been inspected for the rough-in and occupancy. Good luck.

Old 12-08-05, 03:44 PM
A
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by majakdragon
One last question. Did the contractor/plumber install the fixtures (toilet sink, shower and bar sink) or did you finish up the bathroom after you moved in? If it was installed before you moved in, it should have been inspected for the rough-in and occupancy. Good luck.
Im in the process now of framing out the entire basement, doin electrical, HVAC, plumbing, etc... There is nothing but a 2" stub for the shower, sink, wet bar, and a 4" stub for the toilet. So to answer your question, no, they didnt install any fixtures. Thanks!

Old 12-08-05, 03:53 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Okay, new ball game. You will have to install the vents. I would call the local code office and ask what is required. Many will have drawings that you can obtain. The contractor is incorrect about the fixtures not needing vents because the pipe flows downhill to the sewer line. Studor vents are legal in some areas and not in others. It is better to ask all the questions now, before you get walls up. Good luck with your project.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: