slow drain in sink

Old 12-10-05, 06:50 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
slow drain in sink

I have a raised ranch home and my upper floor washroom's vanity sink is draining real slow. I pulled the pipe apart below the sink and pulled out some of my wife's hair, however, the water still drains slowly. The bottom bend, I think its called a trap is clear, can I have a problem further down? And if so, is there a tool of some sort to get to the clog? I have no problem with the tub in the same room so I don't think its a breathing problem. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-05, 06:53 PM
Use one of those hand held turn crank drain cables in a drum you can buy at the big box stores and try cleaning the line. Make numerous attempts at it; after each try......remove the cable and hook the piping back up, run hot water only and see if it runs better or not. Keep trying until you get fed up.......then it is time to call in the pros......

Old 12-10-05, 07:07 PM
Thumbs up Reply

So you are suggesting that there is still possibly a clog past the trap, and further down the system? The hair that I pulled out was in the vertical part of the drain just below the sink plug but the actual trap was fairly clear. That is why I am somewhat stumped that there could be a build up further down the line. But I will do as you suggest. Hopefully I won't be wasting my money on a crank snake only to have to call a pro. Thanx for your help.
P.S. - Give your dog a pat for me, I got two myself.

Old 12-11-05, 05:54 PM
Success

Thanx Dunbar Plumber, you were right on the money. It was just a little past the trap, a big clump of my wife's "beautiful" hair. The snake pulled the smelly matte out. Thanx again.....