cpvc to metal

Old 12-11-05, 06:05 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
cpvc to metal

I had a leaky bathroom shutoff which was connected to cpvc with a compresssion fitting. I don't know what the plumber did but it 'looks like' he cut the cpvc behind the old shutoff and cemented a new one onto the cpvc - it is closer to the wall about the size of a valve. The valve looks like the cpvc enters it and there are no features to put a wrench on like you usually see with a compression fitting. He waited about ten minutes then put the water on and left.
I did not know you could cement cpvc to a metal fitting. I've used a purple cleaner then cement when working cpvc to cpvc but ? cpvc into a metal valve. I've always waited 2 hours although you should wait overnight.
Any ideas what he did for future reference?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-05, 05:55 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
They make angle and straight stops that have the outside covering of chromed brass, but there is a insert cpvc fitting/coupling inside of it. This, as you describe would look like it was glued straight to the valve itself, but it isn't. That back side should unscrew from the valve side allowing replacement of the valve, but not the part that was glued.

Go to any big box store and look at the selection of valves with CPVC connections. You will find one that you and I speak of.

Old 12-12-05, 04:39 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
valve

Yes, I know what you mean b/c I looked all around the web and bumbed into a 'sleeve'.
It's always good to know for the next time. Damn rotator cuff + more -couldn't get in there to do the job. Oh well, that's why we have these whopping pensions-I like your dog bone tid bit, it fits older guys too!
Thanx for the help.