Venting Question

Old 12-12-05, 06:07 AM
GXM
Venting Question

hello,
I am in a new home and have started finihing the basement. I would like to put a small kitchen sink in a location where there is only a 3" ABS drain pipe (going from the ceiling in the basement straight down thru the concrete floor) and no vent close by (closest vent is across the other side of the basement and not easily accessable, about 30' away with obstacles). Could I install the sink about 2 1/2 feet from the main drain and use the 3" drain pipe as a wet vent? I should note that the 3" abs drain pipe is used for the 2 bathrooms on the upper floor of the 2 story house. I believe this pipe also goes straight up and out the roof (as I can see a vent stack in this location from on top of the roof). Also, would an AAV help, is this allowable in Ontario?

here are some photo's of the pipe:

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a116/GXM/Drain6.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a116/GXM/Drain2.jpg

any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-05, 11:16 AM
If you tie into that 3" drain, 2 things will happen:

The trap could siphon every time there was a toilet flushed and water goes by it.

It is the first fixture that is going to show a back up, and it won't be pretty.

Have no idea if AAV's are allowable in Ontario or not; I would contact your local authority and see what they say. That sounds like about your only option, and that AAV will have to be serviceable for future replacement down the road, they fail over time.

Old 12-12-05, 12:01 PM
GXM
Thanks for the response,

So, if I were to use the AAV then the siphone effect should such air and not the water from my trap? this sound right or no?

You said backup may/could/probably will show up in this sink first, would backup not come out of the floor drain first not the sink? either way it would be pretty ugly.

This was my second thought of how to approach it:
Directly above the basement is the kitchen with a island sink. When I look at the ceiling in the basement I see the trap for the kitchen sink, then this pipe goes horizontal about 4' to the wall in the basement. At this point it goes straight up inside the wall (the vent) and also down (the drain) and this is a 2" (or it could be 1-1/2") vertical pipe. This is about 15 feet away from the 3" Drain pipe, could I use this as a wet vent. I don't have any photos here with me, but I could take some tonight if this would help?

thanks again.