Old house issue

Old 12-12-05, 01:28 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Old house issue

I just brought a house and the previous owners had a washing machine hook up in the basement. I never looked at the washer nor its connections. Well here I am the owner of the house and I go to hook up my washer and only see one water connection (I assume cold - did not turn on). Am I missing something but shouldn't there be two hook ups for hot and cold? Is this common in older houses. Where I moved from was a brand new rental and it had both pipes. What can I do? Do I need a plumber to install the other pipe? Can this be a do it yourself job?

Old 12-12-05, 04:16 PM
You not only need a hot water supply, but also need a 2" washing machine standpipe drain installed.

Old 12-12-05, 11:23 PM
Running the hot (or cold) water line is a DIY project. Decide where you can tie into a water line and what the pipe is made out of (copper, galvanized etc) and let us know. We are always here to help. Good luck.

Old 12-21-05, 09:17 AM
J
Okay I will try to take a stab at explaining this The connections are in the basement next to the hot water heater. There is a old sink next to the water connection so I guess they used that as a drain. Can I tie into a line from the water heater?

Old 12-21-05, 09:48 AM
That will work out great. Just just run your lines right off the water heater. Good luck with your project.

Old 12-21-05, 10:25 AM
J
thanks... I just brought the home depot diy book. it looks very good but i have yet to do anything in the book except bleed my radiators! i will continue to read and read and do more reading before i ever start a project like this one. and if i have not said it before you guys are great! thanks again.

Old 12-21-05, 12:10 PM
If your water lines are copper, there is an interactive site that shows you how to solder joints. Just click on the link below. Good luck.

http://www.doityourself.com/info/h2handlecopper.htm

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: